Udev 2.0 - fairly painless upgrade from 1.97
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Udev 2.0 - fairly painless upgrade from 1.97 Reply with quote

Things I had to do...

• delete /etc/udev.d/rules.d/70-* as instructed in the emerge udev output
  • udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 2> /dev/null # find out what my new interface will be (used below - in my case enp2s0)
  • rm /etc/init.d/net.eth0
  • cd /etc/init.d/ && ln -s net.lo net.enp2s0 # (enp2s0 was output in the second step and I always get symlinks back to front)
  • rc-update del /etc/init.d/net.eth0 default # (remove the old network interface from default runlevel)
  • rc-update add /etc/init.d/net.enp2s0 default # (put the new network interface in the default runlevel)
  • you may need to tweak /etc/conf.d/net to change your interface name, in my case, I overlooked it and things just worked because I was using DHCP anyway but for completeness, you should tweak it.
  • Reboot - it's the most disruptive but easiest way to get everything up and running

FYI: I have a separate /usr filesystem inside LVM on a RAID and don't use an initrd, things work fine (so far).

Last edited by lyallp on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Udev 2.0 - fairly painless upgrade from 1.97 Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:

• cd /etc/init.d/ && ln -s net.enp2s0 net.lo # (enp2s0 was output in the second step)

Surely it is
Code:
ln -s net.lo net.enp2s0

Mine was painless too, surprisingly, however, I didn't bother changing the interface names... not sure how it still works (I deleted /etc/udev/rules.d/70* too). I thought I'd let it play and see what happens. Done this in 2 machines and eth0 is still there.
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that I had to also remove the file 80-net-name-slot.rules from /etc/udev/rules.d to get ethernet working, other than that it was fairly painless for me as well. It may be worth adding that if you have manually configured your network devices you may need to edit /etc/conf.d/net to update the interface names.

Thanks for posting this helpful guide.
gabrielg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roarkh wrote:
I found that I had to also remove the file 80-net-name-slot.rules

Well, I didn't want to do that as that file is created by the upgrade itself. If anything, it's making my life easier, unless I find a compelling reason to change the interface name, I guess I'll leave it as it is now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: