stage3-i586-* no longer supported?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inte
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: stage3-i586-* no longer supported? Reply with quote

I install a Geode LX (i586) and use /releases/x86/2007.0/stages/stage3-x86-2007.0.tar.bz2 which is i486.

Is there any way except ...
a) doing a stage1 installation
b) using a old stage3-i586 release (expat problem)
c) changing CHOST

... to get a i586 system?

All these three steps are very painful, as the Geode lacks performance. Exists there any /unofficial/ stage3-i586-* which is newer than 2006.1?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, except consider using distcc to compile a stage1 build.

Sorry!

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a no from me, and I don't even know of any recent compressed i586 stage2 or 4 tarballs. However, some more suggestions:

• Use catalyst to do your own stage3.
  • Install Sabayon, it is i586, and the core install equals. Or much in the same way, use Sabayon's binary packages to upgrade (through equo).
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to just leave CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu" because you probably won't notice any difference in performance by switching it to i586.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you just use that 2006.1 tarball? The only thing you'd have to do is change your /etc/make.profile symlink if you want to use a newer (like 2007.0 or whatever) profile.
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am developing for a geode lx500 system. Compiles are painful slow. What I have done is, I have another computer with an AMD chip, an athlon XP of some kind. this is an old media pc, mythtv etc. Still an old chip but similar to the amd geode chip I guess and much faster.

I have the geodes system disk on a three partition, 16gb flash disk. I just mount that disk with a usb dongle and install to it as if I were doing a knoppix or livecd install, chrooting in. Install with the old 2006 stage-3 and then world update and revdep rebuild on the fast machine in the chroot. Then unmount, reinstall into the geode system and it seems to work.

Is there any reason this should be a problem? With some software libs I am careful to re-emerge with the flash disk back in the geode. These are software where the install modifies the compile based on autodetection of the platform. Some examples of this kind of software are performance math libs, Atlas based blas and lapack, and also fftw I think. Almost all other compiles rely on what you pass in to GCC with make.conf. I think. Anyone else know better?

Since the compiler machine and the target machine are similar (amd chips with sse etc) I hope to have little problems. I have the same versions of GCC and other basic toolchain libs on each.

Extending the idea, I have a four core 64-bit workstation, intel chips, that would be nice to speed up world updates in chroot even more. Any reason this might be a bad idea?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its1louder wrote:
a really roundabout way of doing things

seems kind of... difficult?

Set up distcc, don't include localhost in the hosts to use, and have the rest of your network do your compiles live, not requiring you to leave the geode for compilation.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
its1louder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system disk on the little geode is a cfdisk that ejects easy, and plugs into a media reader/usb dongle on my more capable desktop pc. Its not like I am opening a case, removing a harddisk and shoehorning it into an occupied case somewhere, it pops out and pops in like a compact flash should. At that point, it is no harder then a mount, chroot and compile away, sort of like following a stage three the old fashioned by hand way. I think there is no reason this would not work, it seems to work so far, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion.

distcc is neat. There are definitely times that would be the easiest upgrade, in the lab. But I haven't bothered to set it up yet for a couple of reasons. One is that I had to do the eject and swap to install initially - my little embedded geode has no cdrom for an install cd. I could have bought a USB cdrom I guess, it does have a usb port, but I didn't. The other reason is that this is an embedded pc104 data acquisition pc, a typical application for a geode lx500. It goes in the field (lousiana wetlands) logs data and reports back low bandwidth data over a slow, low power cell modem. In situ, distcc is not the best option for a world update with a low bandwidth and intermittent connection. Instead, I'd like to update a root system on a fresh cf disk at my lab, hike out to the remote system, swap cfdisks and reboot there. I probably should get around to setting up Distcc though, that is probably the safest way to get my big iron helping out the media pc which itself is not so impressive as an athlon xp 2400 or whatever.
EvadingGrid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get stage3-i586 for pentium here http://ukginger.net/Gentoo/

It is built with Catalyst and has the toolchain, gcc glibc etc compiled for i586 pentium.

You can also find all the other stuff that is safe to ignore like stage-1, stage-2, snapshots and minimal-install-i586 CD.
You probably would do better with using SystemRescueCD and ignoring the Stage-1, and Stage-2 etc...

Last build date 2013 April 8th

So, dust off that old pentium ....
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvadingGrid wrote:

It is built with Catalyst and has the toolchain, gcc glibc etc compiled for i586 pentium.

You can also find all the other stuff that is safe to ignore like stage-1, stage-2, snapshots and minimal-install-i586 CD.
You probably would do better with using SystemRescueCD and ignoring the Stage-1, and Stage-2 etc...

Holy... crap... Thanks for reviving a 5 year old thread. *sigh*

You can do this with stage3-i486. I've utilized my script (look for stage1) on countless i586/686-class systems. I'm a little scared to try it in a i486-class system. I'd probably kill the HDD due to the massive swapping involved.

Last edited by Simba7 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
chronicwilly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
EvadingGrid wrote:

Holy... crap... Thanks for reviving a 5 year old post. *sigh*

You can do this with stage3-i486. I've utilized my script (look for stage1) on countless i586/686-class systems. I'm a little scared to try it in a i486-class system. I'd probably kill the HDD due to the massive swapping involved.

LMFAO a 5 year old post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: