KDE - Gstreamer "default" device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordBSoD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: KDE - Gstreamer "default" device Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm using Gentoo for quite a few days now, and from what I've seen I really can tell that it's very awesome so far, even as a total greenhorn. Yet I've run into something that I currently cannot understand.

I'm using KDE4 as my desktop environment, with phonon-gstreamer as the backend for all audio related stuff. So far, so good, everything's working. However, when I try to plug in my USB headphones, the audio continues getting played through my notebook's main speakers. When I'm opening the 'Multimedia' section within the KDE systemsettings application however, there's just one device listed, called "Default".

Funnily enough, kmix seems to actually recognize both the built-in audio and my headphones.

I've installed KDE via emerging the kdebase-meta ebuild, including USE-Flags like "alsa pulseaudio gstreamer".
When using the phonon-vlc backend, there's to devices that appear: 'pulse' and 'alsa' - still not my headphones or the internal audio alone.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Is there something missing?
Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've discovered that when I open the same panel not via the systemsettings application but via kmix itself, all devices appear. I REALLY don't get this.

I've also tried to launch the systemsettings via the terminal. When I clicked on the multimedia section, this appeared:
Code:
(systemsettings:8358): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GstObject'

(systemsettings:8358): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(systemsettings:8358): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed

(systemsettings:8358): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(systemsettings:8358): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_newv: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(systemsettings:8358): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_ref_sink: assertion 'object != NULL' failed

(systemsettings:8358): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_registry_get_feature_list: assertion 'GST_IS_REGISTRY (registry)' failed

EDIT (Mar 2015): I'm just editing this in as I don't want to push this thread up to the top as it has already been solved.
Thanks, mir3x, that seemed to be the problem, everything's working fine now :D

Last edited by LordBSoD on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some bug in phonon 4.8.*.
If u have unstable packages, u have to downgrade/mask.

I have it in package.mask:

=media-libs/phonon-4.8.2
=media-libs/phonon-4.8.3
=media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.8.1
=media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.8.2
=media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.8.1
=media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.8.2

If u using stable then I dont have idea,but u should be able to change devices then via pavucontrol anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: