Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Kernel without modules. Do I need virtual/modutils?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Kernel without modules. Do I need virtual/modutils? Reply with quote

I like to build kernel without any module support on my server. But I have virtual/modutils in @system. One problem is that I have useless software on my system. Second problem is that:

* Messages for package sys-apps/kmod-12-r1:

* CONFIG_MODULES: is not set when it should be.
* CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD: is not set when it should be.
* Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
* Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

Everything seems to be working, but I don't like any warnings or error messages. What can I do?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set USE="-kmod" to sys-fs/udev, virtual/udev, then at least it won't pull in it, but something else might... however, if you really don't need modules, and kmod is getting forcibly installed as dependency of something else, you can just ignore those warnings, as there is no way to "disable" the warnings by other means than actually enabling the options in kernel...
gsom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
If you set USE="-kmod" to sys-fs/udev, virtual/udev, then at least it won't pull in it, but something else might... however, if you really don't need modules, and kmod is getting forcibly installed as dependency of something else, you can just ignore those warnings, as there is no way to "disable" the warnings by other means than actually enabling the options in kernel...

sys-apps/kmod one of dependencies of virtual/modutils which is part of @system. So the main my question is "why is virtual/modutils part of @system meaning that it's mandatory?". I have not modules so I needn't any modutils, need I?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: