[SOLVED]rfkill unblock has no effect on rtl8723ae
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]rfkill unblock has no effect on rtl8723ae Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a new laptop, a Toshiba Satellite C850-F32Q. It has a new realtek wireless chipset (RTL8723AE), and a 'semi-hard' wireless switch, i.e. Fn + F12 switches the LED on and off and also changes the rfkill hard blocked status, but it only works once the kernel is mostly booted; presumably once rfkill is working.

Now here's the weird thing. I had it working, then I rebooted my machine after having disabled the wireless with the hardware switch. When I boot, rfkill lists the interface as soft-blocked but not hard-blocked. I can't soft-unblock it with

Code:
rfkill unblock 1

No error, not even in dmesg, it's just that the status doesn't change. If I hard-block it with Fn+F12, rfkill lists hard-blocked and soft-blocked, but now I can change soft-blocked with rfkill. As soon as I use Fn-F12 to un-hard-block, the soft-block is restored regardless of the state is was in when hard-block was disabled, and again, soft-block becomes immune to rfkill's manipulations.

I've tried rebooting, I've tried removing the rtl* modules. I've tried cold booting. I've tried rebooting with hard-block on and off, and flipping as soot as it can be flipped during boot. I'm stumped.

Last edited by sirlark on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, solved the problem thanks to this post.

I had x11-wm/enlightenment:0.17 installed and NetworkManager. I ended disabling NetworkManager from starting up automatically becasue I was still working in text mode during the install, but enlightenment depends on connman. I had the netmount service still enabled at boot, which automatically forced a network service to start. Previously NetworkManager had fulfilled this roll, but now connmand was being started and kept re-soft-blocking my devices. I disabled the netmount service, which prevents the connman service from being started at boot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: