Something went down
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Something went down Reply with quote

CNN wrote:
Analysts believe it's possible people in the video were deliberately exposed to a "caustic" agent such as chlorine. But that would not be the same as using a chemical weapons as defined by international treaties, such as a nerve or blister agent.

Wikipedia wrote:
The first killing agent employed by the German military was chlorine.

National Institutes of Health wrote:
Once used as a chemical weapon in the World War I, chlorine gas has long been known for its pulmonary irritant properties.

CNN wrote:
but it was short of chemical weapons

Nothing to see here, move along.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used a chemical as a weapon, which makes it a chemical weapon. Whether it is on the list of officially banned chemicals for use as a weapon is completely irrelevant.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No WMDs to see here, folks.
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they admit it was a chemical attack, the Obama would have to actually do what he said he would do, or look even more pussified than he already does.

Ellen Degeneres has more testicular fortitude than our president.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Marley wrote:
If they admit it was a chemical attack, the Obama would have to actually do what he said he would do, or look even more pussified than he already does.

Ellen Degeneres has more testicular fortitude than our president.

Ah, I see. Kind of Clinton telling his Administration not to use "The G-word" in reference to Rwanda (genocide), because then we'd be compelled to do something about it.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably a shipment of Domestos to facilitate a fresh air raid, or to cleanse some ethnics.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question: why is it ok for the USA to stockpile chemical weapons - and why is it ok for Israel to use illeagal weapons against civilians?

bonus points: you do know that a lot of 'rebels' are wearing uniforms of regular troops.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
question: why is it ok for the USA to stockpile chemical weapons - and why is it ok for Israel to use illeagal weapons against civilians?

It's not okay for the U.S.A. to "stockpile" chemical weapons. It IS okay, however, for the U.S. to lead the world in chemical and biological weapons disarmament, particularly since the end of the Cold War, and to be almost done destroying all its chemical weapons.

The U.S. has been one of the most active proponents of global elimination of chemical and biological weapons and has been a proponent of and ratified numerous treaties over the years that have already resulted in the destruction of the vast majority of chemical weapons globally. The U.S. itself has destroyed over 90% of its chemical weapons, and the process continues. The U.S. has also provided extensive assistance to former Soviet states and others in safely ridding themselves of their chemical and biological stockpiles.

energyman76b wrote:
bonus points: you do know that a lot of 'rebels' are wearing uniforms of regular troops.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

because the USA is good, has democracy, human rights and is a constitutional state therefore sacred. And for isreal is nothing illegal, because their people were hunted by you and your country. Of course you can express any critical thoughts against gypsies, mental retarded people, gays, roma, sinti, but not against israelis :P :wink:
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It IS okay, however, for the U.S. to lead the world in chemical and biological weapons disarmament, particularly since the end of the Cold War, and to be almost done destroying all its chemical weapons.

do you really believe this? (honest question)

I think the US is rather world leader in weapons research of any kind (what I don't comment ethically). For example the MIT works quite closely with the US military.

Quote:
The U.S. has been one of the most active proponents of global elimination of chemical and biological weapons and has been a proponent of and ratified numerous treaties over the years that have already resulted in the destruction of the vast majority of chemical weapons globally. The U.S. itself has destroyed over 90% of its chemical weapons, and the process continues. The U.S. has also provided extensive assistance to former Soviet states and others in safely ridding themselves of their chemical and biological stockpiles.

maybe in political speeches, but as you said in another thread most politicans are liar! Maybe they have destroyed out-dated weapons in front of a TV-camera, while selling a few to other groups and researching on newer, more efficient weapons.

Moreover you can make treaties of any kind and break them if you have enough power, or there is a small gap that allows you to research on another virus that is not yet qualified as a "military-virus". Even mathematical theories are not perfect in the sense of everything "valid, true, good" is provable and everything "bad, false" is not possible to show. Such treaties are like a stone in a river and humans are the water...

(I am not a "LOL USA" guy, my arguments apply on any other country as well... :wink: )
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"

Last edited by LoTeK on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely believe it. I also believe we are a leader in weapon development.

Many of our recent developments have been to minimize the necessity of death, injury, and destruction that characterize war. Precision smart-bombing and specialized non-explosive weapons has replaced carpet-bombing. We've developed an array of non-lethal and less-lethal technologies that are being tested.

We may be the first and only ones to have used an atomic bomb (against a foe who was within months of attacking San Diego with Plague, as it turns out, which it had tested on Chinese civilians, and who was engaged in widespread human rights atrocities), we're not the ones who came up with chemical and biological warfare or pushed it to its limits. The USSR had a stockpile of enough anthrax to kill every animal on the face of the Earth. We helped them dispose of it, and we got their scientists who were experts in that field (and nothing else) off the street so they wouldn't end up making it for Iran, Libya or Iraq or somebody.

Our chemical weapons programs at this point are limited to protection, decontamination, treatment, and disposal of the existing weapons. The same is true of our biological weapons. I am not naive, however, and I suspect that we probably experiment with weapons we think enemies might develop, so that we can devise counter-measures.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my BBC mobile app, I read something like "US drill did not cause sickness." or somesuch. I couldn't find it on the web afterwards. I thought this thread was about that.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
On my BBC mobile app
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol:
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Telegraph wrote:
CL17 is normal chlorine for swimming pools or industrial purposes. It is rated as Level 2 under the chemical weapons convention, which means it is dual purpose - it can be used as a weapon as well as for industrial or domestic purposes.

Ah, well, that's OK then.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:
It IS okay, however, for the U.S. to lead the world in chemical and biological weapons disarmament, particularly since the end of the Cold War, and to be almost done destroying all its chemical weapons.

do you really believe this? (honest question)

It was actually quite a production here a few years ago in Delaware (home of Dupont, creator and destroyer of many of the US's chemical weapons). I can't remember all the details, but seem to remember that moving the stockpiles was a big deal and I think there was concern with the environmental impact of neutralization process.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: