Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo in vmware based on ubuntu or other linux ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xiyanxiyan10
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: gentoo in vmware based on ubuntu or other linux ? Reply with quote

I used gentoo with vmware in windos before, But I want to change windows to slackware or other linux and install vmware to use gentoo copy from windows because that I want to live without windows but install gentoo in my computer again is so terrible.

I want to make sure that vmware in linux run gentoo copy from windows can work well?

-------Please help me.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: should be seamless Reply with quote

The crucial thing is to make sure that your vmware install is the same version as or newer than the old. When you install a new VM in VMware and don't take the defaults (eg go custom), one of the prompts is the level of compatibility you want to set on the VM with VMWare hypervisors. Your choice here may limit the number of virtual processors or memory or other features you can use with the VM, but it may allow that VM to be more portable.
xiyanxiyan10
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: should be seamless Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
The crucial thing is to make sure that your vmware install is the same version as or newer than the old. When you install a new VM in VMware and don't take the defaults (eg go custom), one of the prompts is the level of compatibility you want to set on the VM with VMWare hypervisors. Your choice here may limit the number of virtual processors or memory or other features you can use with the VM, but it may allow that VM to be more portable.

Thanks a lot, I will have a try tonight after work . :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: