View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miko5881
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: No foot in GNOME. Reply with quote

i emerge gnome last night and when i came back i configured x and it ran fine and then i ran gdm and i loged in to gnome fine. but there is no foot in the bottom the corner of my screen. i have tried to go through the the diffrent control panels and it did not work. i tried to emerge gnome-panel manualy but it did not work. i can still get the menu in the top left but i need the normal foot because i need this to look like a windows computer so normal people can use it for typying reports on it and stuff.

Thanks
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: No foot in GNOME. Reply with quote

Miko5881 wrote:
i need this to look like a windows computer

Then use KDE. :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone happen to know the lines of code in KDE vs Windows? :D
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: No foot in GNOME. Reply with quote

Miko5881 wrote:
i emerge gnome last night and when i came back i configured x and it ran fine and then i ran gdm and i loged in to gnome fine. but there is no foot in the bottom the corner of my screen.
<snip>

Miko,

First add a new panel at the bottom of the screen. You can do this by right-clicking on the top panel (choose Edge Panel for the type). Once the panel has been created, you can right-click on it and add the foot-menu. Can't remember what it's called as I use fluxbox now, but it is there.

-Rahul
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default is this:
Menupanel at the top and bottom panel at the bottom (doh).
At the bottom you have the taskbar, just like in Windows. At the top you have the items "Applications" and "Actions" Don't tell me this is too confusing. =) But ok, if you want to change it, do like deathdruid said (just that you shouldn't need to create a new bottom panel, it should already be there! Otherwise something is wrong). Go to "Add to Panel" and select "GNOME Menu", very simple. Then move this to the left of the panel (either by right clicking and selecting "move" or by holding down the middle mouse button on it).
If you think this is too small now, you can rightclick on the panel and select Properties, then set the size to medium. This is the default from Gnome 1.4. Your taskbar will have two rows now and your pager will look cool. ;)
This is also the default configuration (minus the menubar) of the new Red Hat Beta "Limbo".
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addition: If you also want to get rid of the menu-panel, you can easily move the clock and sound applet to your bottom panel (middle mouse button or rightclick->move) and then delete the panel (rightclick->Delete This Panel).
Miko5881
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Everything is fine now, Thanks for all the help. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: