Audacity - No Place for Temp Files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Audacity - No Place for Temp Files Reply with quote

This one is driving me nuts as Audacity pops up this error then seg-faults (rebuilt several times).

I've even looked at the depgraph from equery and don't see anything that could be a problem and have rebuilt those features/packages installed only to still have the error.

Audacity is ver: 2.0.1

Just checked the help file and it's saying something about the dmix plug-in only supporting playback stream. I'm also seeing unknown pcm -rear (looks like a possible issue with the intel hd module - according to alsamixer, it's a Realtck ALC888-VD chip) meaning a remake of the module with only the realtek portion enabled (dang module was loading all of the codecs/support for every card and that maybe the segfault issue).

Last edited by FastTurtle on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, FastTurtle!

Is this the first time you are starting it, or did you do something prior to this issue?

In any case, I imagine you could check the

Code:
~/.audacity-data/audacity.cfg

file, and see what the temp directory is set to, or/and see if the permissions are set accordingly for the file (I did some searching, and someone had an issue not unlike yours because the permissions were set incorrectly).

If you have nothing important there, you could just remove the folder, I imagine. Without knowing more, I can only be guessing what would cause this issue in your case. ^^;
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo:

Interesting - it's hitting /root/.audacity-data/ instead of ~/.audacity-data in my daily user and I've rebooted several times since installing while fixing other issues
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
Interesting - it's hitting /root/.audacity-data/ instead of ~/.audacity-data in my daily user

So it probably doesn't (shouldn't?) have the permission to write there, which would explain the error. I wonder if it was set over there because you ran Audacity as root at some point? I still don't quite know how that would make into your daily user's configuration...

In any case, either removing all those automagically generated files and then running the application, or editing the path for them temp files manually to something more sane should possibly fix the issue. There might be other paths that would need a fix, though, so simply 'starting fresh' might be a better idea, if you have not made any vast configuration changes yet.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it seems to be doing is attempting to run as SUID /root, which is a major bug/flaw?

What it should be doing is creating the /.audacity-data in the user directory instead of trying to use /root.

Looks like something is screwed up in the ebuild as this shouldn't be happening. If it can't create the folder, it should at least tell us how to run the configuration from the console so it can be setup by the user.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem continues with the 2.0.1 and 2.0.3 packages

have posted issue on the audacity list in hopes they can help debug the problem since it looks to be on my system.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's probably something simple, but it's just not coming to us. That, or it's a bug, as you say.

A couple of things come to mind that I would check next:
    Is the user in the audio group? I'd imagine it is pretty much required for Audacity to be able to fiddle with things properly.

I'd also remove any possible Audacity-related cruft from /var/tmp.
I have the 2.0.3 version installed myself, and it's definitely not behaving like yours is.

Perhaps posting

Code:
emerge --info audacity

at this point could be a good idea. A pastebin of the full build-log wouldn't probably hurt, either.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropped back to the 2.0.0 stable version and finally got some additional information
Code:

Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)
Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)

system is showing that dbus daemon is running so the only thing I can think of is something is borked. I'm rebuilding all of the installed dbus packages and will restart the daemon (hopefully it doesn't sig9 kdm).

I'm wondering if the problem is actually gnome-base/gconf as it's built w/o gtk. I'm rebuilding that in hopes it may solve the problem - note that the message involves gconf so I'm beginning to wonder WTF?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: