Remote Server Hanging Nightly - High Load / Disk I/O
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Remote Server Hanging Nightly - High Load / Disk I/O Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I've had a remote server for about 3 years now, but only recently (last 3 nights) has it decided to hang up on me. It's happened the last 3 nights in a row, all within 20 minutes of each other.

The only thing I'm noticing is a Zabbix warning about Disk I/O about 15-20 minutes before the server stops responding, and I've had to do a power cycle to recover each time (I've let it sit for 8+ hours to no avail).

I'm desperately trying to track down what is going on - I've disabled all my cron jobs around that time etc., and I've got extensive logs, all of which show perfectly normal operation until I suddenly lose connection with the server and seem to be able to only recover via rebooting.

I've checked SMARTCTL and the disk is clean. I have not had a chance to check memory (a bit more difficult due to it's remoteness), but I have not received any telltale signs in dmesg or similar that there would be something wrong with the RAM.

My best thing to go off of at this point is some way of manually monitoring the Disk I/O - but I'm not entirely sure how to get that down to a graphable solution.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas that might help me log more data or assist in finding the culprit?

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions :)
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could forward your machine stats with conky over internet.

If you want a good conky config to get started here's mine:
http://pastebin.com/9c1MkCMs

covers cpu/ram/disk/network with both graphics and numbers, it should tell you all about hardware if you can get it running remotely and forward the results.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: