View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Kid Makes Pop-Tart Gun, Gets Suspended Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/pop-tart-gun-bill_n_2852472.html

EDIT: http://www.wswartzendruber.name/uploads/rl_poptart_gun.opus
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody's got to put a stop to this nonsense.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens during rubber band fights, SWAT team intervention?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would never happen. People in government will have the foresight of banning rubberbands before anything like that ever happens.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspension?

but I would like to ask the question, why do you all love guns so much?
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of people that actually LOVE guns in America is fewer than you think. We just want to support guns and gun-like things because the government is threatening to take them away, and we hate it when the government starts taking things away from us.

It's kinda like taking away a sucker away from a baby. Had the baby not had it in the first place, s/he'll have nothing to cry over.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Somebody's got to put a stop to this nonsense.

They are trying to
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
suspension?

It's a pastry.... it's a pastry.... it's a god-damned pop-tart.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
suspension?

Because you can use them against the Stasi that will coming around soon. Why are you so in love with the Stasi, and why you so in denial about the underlying issues of cultural worship of violence, violent ethnic sub-cultures, unnecessary population densities, failure of legislatures to recognize valid differences in urban and rural living environments, and hidden authoritarian agenda of political parties? Can anyone with an IQ above 100 actually see this as something as moronically simplistic as "a bunch of people who 'love guns' and are therefore wrong-headed, unlike themself"?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
juniper wrote:
suspension?

It's a pastry.... it's a pastry.... it's a god-damned pop-tart.

And it's play. Kids have been playing at hunting and fighting since before we were human. Are we so idiotic that we expect children not to play at killing when that's all they see on TV, in movies, and in video games?

"This is what adults do. This is the excitement that the world is all about. These are heroes. But if you pretend to do it, you're a bad person." Fucking retarded.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
But if you pretend to do it, you're a bad person." Fucking retarded.

If you are a responsible parent, there are a range of appropriate toys and activities to
direct your offspring towards, I'm sure. They're all probably gender, race, sexual orientation neutral
and very confused too.

JB looks about, this is one of the stepping stones that brought us here.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Are we so idiotic that we expect children not to play at killing when that's all they see on TV, in movies, and in video games?

That was rhetorical, right?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Are we so idiotic that we expect children not to play at killing when that's all they see on TV, in movies, and in video games?

That was rhetorical, right?

There was once a movement afoot to create a backward question-mark, to be used to indicate rhetorical questions. It died out for two reasons:

a) It was argued that most people are smart enough to recognize rhetorical questions as such.
b) It was argued that most people are too stupid to know what a rhetorical question is.

True story.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
suspension?

Because you can use them against the Stasi that will coming around soon. Why are you so in love with the Stasi, and why you so in denial about the underlying issues of cultural worship of violence, violent ethnic sub-cultures, unnecessary population densities, failure of legislatures to recognize valid differences in urban and rural living environments, and hidden authoritarian agenda of political parties? Can anyone with an IQ above 100 actually see this as something as moronically simplistic as "a bunch of people who 'love guns' and are therefore wrong-headed, unlike themself"?

1) the stasi isn't coming in britain, canada or the US, so I don't worry about them.
2) no denial. The cultures you mention are real problems, of which gun culture is a part.
3) you people love guns. When I say "from my cold dead hands", I am referring to my family, phone and laptop. You know, things I love.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kid was trying to make a poptart MOUNTAIN. its in the damn article. the mountain culture in the US is despicable!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
suspension?

1) the stasi isn't coming in britain, canada or the US, so I don't worry about them.
2) no denial. The cultures you mention are real problems, of which gun culture is a part.
3) you people love guns. When I say "from my cold dead hands", I am referring to my family, phone and laptop. You know, things I love.

You don't love your children; if you did, you'd be protecting individual liberty from erosion. Your children will grow up to be even more like domesticated livestock than you. Moooo. Ba-a-a-aah.

Also, you ranking your phone and laptop as two of the three most important things in your life, along with your family, is one of the most tragically pathetic things I have ever heard.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

With all due respect, on what do you base that assertion on? History is littered with the carcases of stasi's and their tyrannical masters who were only displaced by violent resistance. Surely you don't have blind faith in 'democracy' or some other legislative pixie dust to protect us...
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
juniper wrote:

With all due respect, on what do you base that assertion on? History is littered with the carcases of stasi's and their tyrannical masters who were only displaced by violent resistance. Surely you don't have blind faith in 'democracy' or some other legislative pixie dust to protect us...

++
Classic. "It can never happen here".

He was also blind to the G8 in Toronto, when police were bullying people on the streets, randomly demanding identification, checking backpacks, and arresting people for allegedly "loitering", just for standing around. He wasn't outside the underground in London when MI5 gunned somebody down for being a brown man running to catch the train, or one of the dozen or so foreign students indefinitely detained without charges or evidence of any wrongdoing, or one of the thousands of Londoners who get randomly ID checked or searched every day, or the millions who are constantly scrutinized by thousands of cameras connected to facial recognition software...

No, the Stasi isn't coming here, and everything is just fine, as long as my offspring are performing well in their state-funded indoctrination and I have my shiny little phone and laptop (which of course, are not spied on and are free of authoritarian spyware). :roll:
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

You don't love your children; if you did, you'd be protecting individual liberty from erosion. Your children will grow up to be even more like domesticated livestock than you. Moooo. Ba-a-a-aah.

Also, you ranking your phone and laptop as two of the three most important things in your life, along with your family, is one of the most tragically pathetic things I have ever heard.

do you have children? you clearly don't if you think showing your love for them involves protecting their liberty.

Also, mindlessly holding on to a gun doesn't do it either. In any case, I am a big fan of liberty.

Finally, you do know that the phone and laptop was a joke, no? Making fun of the guns.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
juniper wrote:

Indeed. Now look at how those situations came about. The US, Britain and Canada have had democracies for almost 250 years (in the case of the US). while there were huge violations of rights during that time, i am not sure that guns stopped them.

I just don't see it happening here. Put another way, is it more likely to happen than the violence being perpetrated by guns in now?
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
In any case, I am a big fan of liberty.
Anarchist.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

do you have children? you clearly don't if you think showing your love for them involves protecting their liberty.

Strawman. You see the "will grow up" phrase there? Adults must control children to a degree, but if you're not protecting the liberty your children will have as adults, then you don't love them or you're ignorant or in denial.

BoneKracker wrote:
Also, mindlessly holding on to a gun doesn't do it either. In any case, I am a big fan of liberty.

Holding on to any given right the state tries to take away "does it", particularly those that are explicitly articulated in the Constitution.

If leftie authoritarian collectivists want to abridge the right to bear arms, they should amend the Constitution, not use propaganda, media sensationalism, and thought-controlling linguistic manipulation such as incessant repetition of the phrase "gun violence" to influence communitarian judgegment on that right, enabling them to whittle away at it bit by bit through increasingly pernicious legislation.

The same goes for freedom of expression and freedom of thought/belief, which have also been seriously eroded in both your former country and your new one (where heaven forbid you should say true things that people don't like to hear, or openly disapprove of questionable government policy which has been dubbed a sacred cow by the PC Brigade).
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Strawman. You see the "will grow up" phrase there? Adults must control children to a degree, but if you're not protecting the liberty your children will have as adults, then you don't love them or you're ignorant or in denial.

sorry, but the only response is :roll:

Quote:

If leftie authoritarian collectivists want to abridge the right to bear arms, they should amend the Constitution, not use propaganda, media sensationalism, and thought-controlling linguistic manipulation such as incessant repetition of the phrase "gun violence" to influence communitarian judgegment on that right, enabling them to whittle away at it bit by bit through increasingly pernicious legislation.

cool. I agree that rule of law is the way to go.

Quote:

The same goes for freedom of expression and freedom of thought/belief, which have also been seriously eroded in both your former country and your new one (where heaven forbid you should say true things that people don't like to hear, or openly disapprove of questionable government policy which has been dubbed a sacred cow by the PC Brigade).

They have not been eroded in my former country nor in this one. There is no right in any of these countries not to have the PC brigade come after you. Neither britain nor canada has ever, sadly, had the same protection of free speech as in the US. But it isn't eroding.

The place where it seems to be eroding the fastest is in the US. Drone strikes possible? really? So, where are the guns pointed at this outrage?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones the sales of which are surging? The ones the left-wing authoritarian collectivist state mysteriously happens to be trying to take away? As we've discussed before, actual armed insurrection is a last resort, after civil discourse and debate, legislative action, judicial action, civil disobedience, etc., etc.. It's remote possibility does, however, influence things. Besides, protection from own-government tyranny is not the rationale articulated in the Constitution (although it is mentioned in other early American writings). Repeating failed arguments is "argumentum verbosium" and bad form.

Also, I think it's tragic that you don't care whether you children will enjoy the same freedoms you have or not. This is the same kind of selfish, deliberate, head-in-the-sand ignorance that has allowed Global Warming to become a the crisis it is.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
They have not been eroded in my former country nor in this one.

Apart from the press being muzzled

Incidentally Labour pushed for this & the definition of 'press' is somewhat loose.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: