Installing as guest on Hyper-v client
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Installing as guest on Hyper-v client Reply with quote

I am trying to get a working setup on hyper-v client running on Windows 8 (I wish it could be the other way around, but alas, linux runs well in a VM and games do not.) Anyway, I have tried multiple kernel configurations all using gentoo-sources.

1. A kernel manually configured. This one boots, but I can't get networking to function. The only drivers I know of are under:
Code:
Device Drivers ---> Microsoft Hyper-V guest support ---> Microsoft Hyper-V client drivers ---> Microsoft Hyper-V Utilities driver

• The boot CD works fine, so I know it should work in my current virtual HW configuration.
  • Note: This is a 64 bit install.
  • ifconfig -a just shows the loopback
  • I have tried the hyper-v stuff as a module and built in. A guide I read said to make sure you compiled them as a module for some reason... any insight on that? Right now I am preferring compiled in, since I know it is loaded.
  • I tried installing Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet support into the kernel (I have an intel 82579 in the host computer)

2. A genkernel kernel. This one doesn't even boot. It complains about root and can't mount it. I also tried customizing it, to no avail.

lspci doesn't show an ethernet adapter for either my boot or the live cd...

Any ideas?
Lasitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently, I was being stupid... I figured it out. I was thinking the hyper-v driver was all-inclusive and all of the guides out there said to look under Staging Drivers (which this was moved out of) I looked under:

Device Drivers ---> Network device support ---> Microsoft Hyper-V virtual network driver

and found the network driver. (can't believe I didn't see that yesterday.)
ShiroiKuma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be able to share your .config for the working kernel?

I'm trying Gentoo under Windows 8 Client Hyper-V and my install keeps hanging on booting up just after hv_vmbus loads at around 0.24, then nothing until around 60.4 and I get a warning "rcu_sched_state detected stalls on cpu".

Using a LiveCD to check the partition, I don't even have anything in /var/log/dmesg (it doesn't even exist), so that makes this even harder to debug
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: