View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Windows 8 Sucking Hind Tit Reply with quote

Quote:
Windows 8 Uptake Slows for Third Straight Month

Windows 8's uptake pace slowed in February for the third straight month, an analytics company said today.

Windows 8's uptake pace slowed in February for the third straight month, an analytics company said today.

According to Net Applications, Windows 8's February usage share -- including what the firm labeled as "touch" for Windows 8 and Windows RT -- was 3% of all Windows PCs, up from January's 2.6%.

Windows 8's share increase in February was about four-tenths of a percentage point, smaller than January's gain, which in turn was smaller than either December's or November's.

The new operating system also fell further behind the pace set by Windows Vista in 2007: In its fourth month of availability, Vista powered approximately 4% of all Windows PCs. The full percentage point gap between Windows 8 and Vista was the largest so far in the tracking Computerworld has conducted.

This new trend bolsters the belief by many analysts that Windows 8 will have a very difficult time gaining traction because of a pair of factors: First, that users are put off by the dual-UI (user interface) approach of the OS, and second, that PC sales have been clobbered by a shift to tablets and smartphones, the vast majority of which run rivals' operating systems.

Windows 8's initial uptake trajectory also makes it more likely that the new operating system will be labeled as an even bigger flop than Vista, which was largely rejected by users, who stuck with the older XP until Windows 7 arrived.

The latter's uptake was a rocket ride compared to Windows 8's or Vista's: By the end of its fourth month on the market, Windows 7 had garnered a 9.7% share, more than three times Windows 8's.

http://www.cio.com/article/729630/Windows_8_Uptake_Slows_for_Third_Straight_Month

Emphasis added.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know but that would make MS armtwist OEMs more.
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found anything about Windows 8 that is somehow an improvement. I have had to use a work computer with it and all it has been for me is pain.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it boots up in 45 seconds and ready. not just desktop like other windows versions.
real fast internet explorer
if only they provide a way to get regular desktop like other windows it may pick up sales
i like it and its performance
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
it boots up in 45 seconds and ready. not just desktop like other windows versions.
real fast internet explorer
if only they provide a way to get regular desktop like other windows it may pick up sales
i like it and its performance

Windows 8 has two interfaces: a tablet-like interface designed for small displays and a touchscreen, and the desktop interface like you're used to. You can switch back and forth between them.

Apparently, most people don't like it. So far, its adoption rate is even slower than Vista's was (although now people have a better alternative than XP, the more recently-released Windows 7).

45 seconds to boot up is nothing to be proud of.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to learn shortcut keys to make it work. It takes time.

<WinKey> + X is a good one for admins to know.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

It isn't dwm, and half of it lacks windows of any kind. There's nothing fluid about Windows 8 other than the puddle of piss in Microsoft's board room over their puerile attempts to railroad their Windows userbase into mobile space to make Windows look like less of a joke in mobile space to app developers.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
Have you found anything about Windows 8 that is somehow an improvement. I have had to use a work computer with it and all it has been for me is pain.

The new copy dialogue and task manager is pretty neat... But no. Windows 8 is a disgrace that utterly fails at even the most basic OS design.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
flysideways wrote:

The new copy dialogue and task manager is pretty neat... But no. Windows 8 is a disgrace that utterly fails at even the most basic OS design.

wswartzendruber says you just don't know how to use it. For example, did you know it has a little artificially intelligent paperclip dude that pops up and helps you when you're struggling, and it even knows when you need it, without having to be asked? When I saw that, I came in my pants, five good spurts.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somehow all these look biased and too soon opinions before the user gets to know how to
same phase must have gone through by windows 95 also
windows 8 desktop is not same as others
still it works better
45 sec start time is great for any windows versions prior
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a laptop(Lenovo) that had Windows 8 on it preinstalled. First thing I did was install Windows 7.

Windows 8's dual UI is horrible, and without touch screen it doesn't make sense.

Windows 8's look is also butt ugly.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Windows 8 in a VM (its only gets used for my workplace's website, it will not work anything other than Windows, not even a Mac), actually its not so bad. The main issue I have with Windows 8 is it seems "legacy" (non-Windows Store aka Metro) apps are treated as "second class" citizens, kind of like how Windows executables are treated under Linux with Wine. The "desktop" is treated like a Windows store app. The interface is DIFFERENT but not necessarily horrible. True, its more suitable for touchscreens but its perfectly usable with a keyboard or mouse, just give yourself time on the "new" ways to do thing, its grows on you.

Of course I've had more luck than my friend who just got a new Windows 8 laptop. Windows store apps take longer to load on her 4-week old computer than my Windows 8 VM - and the VM is running on a 5-year old machine. Her touchpad randomly brings up the sidebar for no reason, and other issues - so your experience may vary wildly.
vanywan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows 8 is amazing i am really looking forward for it. :)
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Microsoft ended the $15 upgrade to windows8 offer at the end of feb, it rose to $120 for the std ($200 for the pro).
Also latest Valve steam results show that linux share on steam is just over 2% while windows8 is under 0.8%

Considering valve beta came out when windows8 was launched goes to show there really isn't any uptake
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there I go, wiping Windows 8 off someone's newly bought machine.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
flysideways wrote:

sums it up

the only improvements so far I found with it + it seems to take up less space on disk than windows 7

may take longer to boot up than windows 7
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanywan wrote:
windows 8 is amazing i am really looking forward for it. :)

What bits of it are you amazed by? Or you just find it amazing since it's the first PC you own? :lol:
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to give Windows 8 a real chance today, as it would have saved a lot of time to just disable the annoying bits of the interface. Well instead, it blew up in my face - a simple attempt to shutdown killed that bastard OS, it simply froze at 'doing something/whatever 15% complete'. So, off it went. :lol:
Closey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
somehow all these look biased and too soon opinions before the user gets to know how to
same phase must have gone through by windows 95 also
windows 8 desktop is not same as others
still it works better
45 sec start time is great for any windows versions prior

Meh.. my Win 7 boots and is ready in 25 seconds. :P

I've played around with 8 a bit but can't see much use for it outside a touch environment.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
So far, its adoption rate is even slower than Vista's was (although now people have a better alternative than XP, the more recently-released Windows 7).
Maybe that was the intent. Force people to Win 7.

wswartzendruber wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if they'll be restoring keystrokes to Office.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running a clean install of Windows 8 for the past month or so. I really like the fast boot times and it feels more responsive than Windows 7. Of course, I purchased the Start8 utility to bring back the start menu back and boot into the desktop directly. If would have been nice if they would have just gave me the choice whether I want the traditional desktop/Start Menu (Aeoro UI) vs the start screen (Metro UI). There are a few good Windows Apps available, but there is no consitency or cohesiveness between Apps and Windows Applications.
eyezsayitall1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 is somehow better than Windows 8. You might not find innovation in Windows 8 and if, there is something like that, it has really failed to attract the users of Windows 7. Touch screen interface looks like the running Windows Media Center program in Windows 7 LOLzzz......
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chera_mccabe wrote:
Windows 7 is somehow better than Windows 8. You might not find innovation in Windows 8 and if, there is something like that, it has really failed to attract the users of Windows 7. Touch screen interface looks like the running Windows Media Center program in Windows 7 LOLzzz......

:lol:
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
...that's fucking horrendous.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
padoor wrote:
...that's fucking horrendous.

Is it "boots up and ready" as in really ready, or is it simply showing desktop (or whatever the current incarnation is called) while it's chugging for the life of it in the background and you cannot start Chrome/Firefox for another 2 minutes?

Cos when linux is up (ie when you do log in), then it is up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: