Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on Banana Pi (totally gentoo noob)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladdrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Banana Pi (totally gentoo noob) Reply with quote

Hello!
I just got myself a Banana Pi and thought that it might be the right moment for trying out Gentoo. My goal is to set up a desktop evironment. I'd like to have my boot on the SD card and the root on an external HDD. Now i looked up some material about installing Gentoo on RPI, even the installation wiki on arm, but each approach is slightly different. i know that Gentoo is somewhat about learning by experimenting, but i really try hard here to avoid the absolutely wrong path (due to time restraints). So, could someone please issue a step-by-step guide? I know it's kind of much to ask tho. Thanks in advance.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladdrak,

Welcome to Gentoo.

As a user new to Gentoo, start out by doing a normal install in a Virtual Machine. What you learn will stand you in good stead for installing on the Banana Pi.
You will also be able to use the Virtual Machine Gentoo to compile things for the Banana Pi.

Step 1, Get Virtual Box on your Linux Distro of choice - Windows will work too.
Step 2. Set up a VBox virtual machine with say 40G of HDD. You can manage in a lot less.
Step 3. Follow the Gentoo Handbook to install in the Virtual Machine - I'll let you Google that.
Step 4. Install Xorg - There is a guide :)
Step 5. Install the desktop(s) of your choice ... there are lots of guides
Step 6. Install crossdev and distcc so your Virtual Box Gentoo install can build packages for your Banana Pi.
Step 7. Repeat steps 2..5 on the Banana Pi using cross distcc.

We will teach you to fish here - not feed you a fish.
Post back for more detailed guidance.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I guess you had a look on this thread where I explained how I installed my Banana, including distcc and cross compiling.
Speaking about Xcompiling, I still duno how to upgrade my compiler :cry:

But I haven't installed any GUI, it's a headless server.
As soon as I received my second bPI, will start also some hardware hacking and explain on my blog. For the moment, it's only in French but I'll continue in english if enough interests :wink:

Bye

Laurent
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life may be easier if you export the root file system via NFS, at least if you are running Linux on your development box. (I don't know if VirtualBox can export NFS mounts, and I suspect they would be very slow if it did).

That's the setup I use for the BeagleBone Black, a similar board to the RPi, and it allows me to cross-compile a lot of stuff on the desktop without touching the BBB. Stuff that won't cross-compile (Python is a major offender) gets compiled on the BBB overnight if necessary.

You need a lightweight window manager - I installed Enlightenment, but I seldom use it as the command line is easier for the experimental stuff I do.

Will
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: