View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Libreoffice 4.0.0.3 crashes on load Reply with quote

When I launch my newly compiled libreoffice it puts up the splash screen and expires with no error message.

when I launch it from the comand line I get just:

Code:

Xlib: extension "XINERAMA" missing on display ":0.0"

I have no idea if that means anything. Using xinerama is not an option.

I deleted ~.config/libreoffice, no change, so it's not a config migration issue.

I emerged libreoffice-bin, which works, but alas it's v. 3.6.4.3, and I can't get that 4.0 goodness.

I'm using KDE4 on an otherwise vanilla system. I thought that by the time LO hit stable it would be stable...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to emerge without the -fomit-frame-pointer flag
see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451778
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:
You need to emerge without the -fomit-frame-pointer flag
see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451778

Thanks! The problem in gentoo is not that it's too hard for mortals -- I have a Ph.D. from MIT,
I can handle it. Nor is it finding knowledgeable people in the forums or when posting a bug.
No, the biggest problem is the sneering culture of some in the community who
start out by being unhelpful and snide. Nice that you're not one of them, thanks.

One of my other posts has found me one of those less helpful individuals and of course now that he's replied
(unhelpfully and snidely) I'm still dead in the water on that other issue. Would you be willing
to have a look at it?

Here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-952350

Cheers,

Jon.
popsUlfr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
Thanks! The problem in gentoo is not that it's too hard for mortals -- I have a Ph.D. from MIT,
I can handle it. Nor is it finding knowledgeable people in the forums or when posting a bug.
No, the biggest problem is the sneering culture of some in the community who
start out by being unhelpful and snide. Nice that you're not one of them, thanks.

One of my other posts has found me one of those less helpful individuals and of course now that he's replied
(unhelpfully and snidely) I'm still dead in the water on that other issue. Would you be willing
to have a look at it?

Here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-952350.html

Cheers,

Jon.

I can understand this feeling you get from some people in the Gentoo community. But you can't just brush them off stating they're not helpful since they express valid concerns most of the time (I can argue that the mocking attitude can be attributed to the fact that quite generally you're not giving them enough information to work with in the first place! Not speaking about you specifically but in general of course...). There's a point where you just need to look past snide remarks and concentrate on the helpful part of their answers. Do not forget that these people take time out of their day to help you, they reserve the right to place a few mockeries here and there (THAT'S NOT to say that any behaviour should just be indulged, there's a threshold to everything I give you that).

Anyway I'd agree with Hu in this case that some troubleshooting info is missing to properly assist you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: