View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashboot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Characters swapped or weird characters showing Reply with quote

Hi all!

I've just assembled two new computers - my new and shiny Gentoo has some weird problems with the characters, though. It either swaps characters or shows some symbols instead. Here is an example of the Openbox logout confirmation window to demonstrate the error. If I copy the text to some other application, there is either no problem or new characters get swapped (according to what's wrong with the window to which I'm copying).

It is happening in all menus, context menus, in normal text, in file managers, everywhere - whenever I restart the application, it is either gone or some other characters are swapped, sometimes all of them. Have you ever had something like this and/or could help me with that? The only difference to my old Gentoo installation approach is the graphics driver, I guess - I had an Nvidia card before and now I'm using an integrated Intel HD 4000. As I have no GUI-driven driver configuration anymore, I'm somewhat lost. I've configured X to work with two screens (xinerama) but font-wise, I've done nothing but enabling a few fonts with eselect fontconfig.

My USE from emerge --info is as follows:
Code:
USE="X aac acl acpi alsa amd64 bash-completion bindist bzip2 cairo cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts encode exif fam fbcon ffmpeg flac fortran g3dvl gdbm gif gpm gtk gzip iconv imap ipv6 javascript jpeg jpeg2k lame lcms ldap libnotify mad mmx mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl nsplugin ogg opengl openmp pam pcre pdf png quicktime readline session smp sound spell sse sse2 sse3 ssl ssse3 startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode usb vaapi vorbis webkit x264 xattr xinerama xml xulrunner xv xvid xvmc zlib"

Apart from that, I use only
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
and
Code:
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
which is different from my working Gentoo installations.

I'd be really glad if you could point me in the right direction or maybe even tell me how to solve this? It's quite illegible most of the time and I've never had anything like it. If I don't start X, everything's working fine but I'm somewhat limited then, of course. :roll:

Thanks in advance,
slashboot
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of intel-drivers are you using, and are you using the latest?

Did you set up KMS as wanted by the driver or are you using VESA (well, doubt that you're using VESA because it sounds like dual head is working... still worth asking.)
slashboot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivers
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
Latest version installed: 2.20.13

No VESA. KMS is enabled.

Code:
<*> Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics
   [*]   Enable modesetting on intel by default

Could it be anything with UEFI boot? This is my first computer using that and I'm using the kernel boot loader without a boot manager. This is what I've enabled in the frame buffer part (everything else is disabled):
Code:
--- Support for frame buffer devices
[*]   Enable firmware EDID
[*]   Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers
[*]   Enable Tile Blitting Support
*** Frame buffer hardware drivers ***
[*]   EFI-based Framebuffer Support

I've already gone through a fresh reinstall - same problem, so it must be either the kernel config (though I don't know what could be wrong there) or X config - maybe I need to set some other USE flags or I need to configure something with the fonts? Any ideas? I've been using Gentoo for a few years now, but I haven't really had any problems that couldn't be solved by following one or two guides.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: