View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: F-35 fighter jet fleet grounded by Pentagon Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21554331
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in other news:

UK receives first F-35 stealth fighter jet from US

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18919388
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon receipt of which, they promptly informed us the proper spelling is "F Thourtey Faeve".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the cost of modern war machines, it seems we need to extend what we've got and tweak it, and only invest ridiculous amounts of money for the proverbial game changer. Spending insanely so our nearest competitors can copy 90% of for 10% of the cost isn't practical.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why we should put all our R&D money into biological warfare and develop genetically specific pathogens that can be targeted right down to the individual (or the whole er... group, as it were). Highly contagious chimeric mutagens that are self-replicating, self-spreading; it doesn't get more efficient than that.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That's why we should put all our R&D money into biological warfare and develop genetically specific pathogens that can be targeted right down to the individual (or the whole er... group, as it were). Highly contagious chimeric mutagens that are self-replicating, self-spreading; it doesn't get more efficient than that.

That's an awesome idea, if you want to exterminate the species.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could possibly go wrong?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
What could possibly go wrong?

Famous last words. :lol: :lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The more practical solution is likely to be a "kill switch" for the pathogen. Let it do it's job, and when Target + Collateral Damage is reached, disperse the kill switch.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, the whole "one platform for everybody" concept of F-35 was just asking for the problems this program has run into. Trying to to use one machine to keep every branch of the military happy sounds like a you'll get a machine with a bunch of compromises that no one will be happy with. Also, a little unnerving that so many eggs got dumped in this one basket. Over-homogenization increases vulnerability if that specific platform becomes compromised. Some variety and diversity between branches can reduce this sort of risk. I also questioned the ad-hoc design approach of building the plane with incomplete designs that are in a constant state of flux... that how you get a system designed mainly with kludges if you ask me. The good thing is that the military tends to learn their lessons, so hopefully we won't see a repeat of this design approach again.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

No we should avoid biological stuff and concentrate on electronic-AI-robots like terminator. And we should try to transform our consciousness to electronic hardware to overcome the need for food, sex, water, etc. Then we can charge our machine bodies with high voltage electricity like jason stattham in crank 2 :lol:

It seems today everyone is turned on by biology. If you look at most science fiction movies or series there are way more "biological science fiction" than "electronic science fiction". Even in battlestar galactica those raiders have strange organic matter inside..

Maybe it's because we fear that we are inferior to machines. First they had more power than we (steem machines and later mechanical devices) than they can compute way faster and accurate than we (of course this is bullshit but many people think they are therefore better mathematicians than we and mathematics is the "standard measurement for intelligence" in our society).

Douglas Hofstadter would rightly say this is biochauvinism!
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA needs to develop a replacement for the F-35. One that is much more expensive. :P
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even better would be if the whole navy, air force and army would only build those cool battleships from WW2. No small destroyers, aircraft-carriers or jets anymore, only battleships.. large, mighty battleships like the yamato, bismarck or arizona..!!
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleships are awesome but obsolete, like swords and castles.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but way cooler than swords or castles and even so it would be smart to build only those, even for ground forces. And in the movie battleship the old arizona saved us from the aliens (because they destroyed all carriers etc)! So think again! and don't say the aliens got beaten because ACDC music was played during the battle Arizona vs Aliens..
or maybe flying U-boots would be more effective?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Battleships are awesome but obsolete, like swords and castles.
They're not obsolete, they just need to put one in space.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Or make one that's a Transformer. They could call it "Phallus Prime".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

I always thought that should be the name of the operation sending a series of bunker busters to the same spot too deep for a single.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
lol

I always thought that should be the name of the operation sending a series of bunker busters to the same spot too deep for a single.

The would be "Operation Gaper".
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Maybe it's because we fear that we are inferior to machines. First they had more power than we (steem machines and later mechanical devices) than they can compute way faster and accurate than we (of course this is bullshit but many people think they are therefore better mathematicians than we and mathematics is the "standard measurement for intelligence" in our society).

Douglas Hofstadter would rightly say this is biochauvinism!

I dont fear that I am inferior to the machines, but I am absolutely comfortable with my animal skin.

What I do fear is that there is too many fucking christians/muslims/jews who even if they fancy themselves non-religios are still operating under modus operandi of "animal bad, we should improve" and that by not feeling comfortable with nature and biology they are at the WAR with nature and biology, and as a biological creature, I feel uncomfortable with them setting the direction.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dont fear that I am inferior to the machines, but I am absolutely comfortable with my animal skin.

What I do fear is that there is too many fucking christians/muslims/jews who even if they fancy themselves non-religios are still operating under modus operandi of "animal bad, we should improve" and that by not feeling comfortable with nature and biology they are at the WAR with nature and biology, and as a biological creature, I feel uncomfortable with them setting the direction.

I had a discussion with a friend about this "christians/muslims/jews-topic" lately. I find it sick too that those three religions set a line between "evil-nature, animals" and "gods mighty creation, the blessed humanity" so therefore I think I know exactly what you mean. But I think today there are many people that live the other extreme in several ways. (for example in science and philosophy there is a strong trend towards "everything is subjective", "no eternal truth", etc).

And although my post was not that serious, the "transformation to electronics" was serious in the sense that I think that our "animal skin", as you named it, is very weak. I mean imagine that you could build lungs that don't get destroyed by smoking etc :)
Of course you could say now that electronics has its faults too, which is true... :(
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're confused. The Abrahamic religions consider the animals, like man, to be God's Creatures. As to them being evil, the Old Testament says the only creature banned from the garden of Eden was man. In the eyes of these religions, the animals are incapable of evil because they don't know what it is.

They do, however, say God made man master of the animals. I find this belief ironic, since God obviously didn't bother to make man master if himself.

There is no good or evil; there are only arbitrary rules for interaction. We may think we are quite different from other animals, but our rules are pretty much the same. We can get along, but if you try to take what I say is mine or push me around, I'll bite you. Keep it up, and I'll kill you. The only difference is teeth vs. explosives, and that we make slaves.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
You're confused. The Abrahamic religions consider the animals, like man, to be God's Creatures. As to them being evil, the Old Testament says the only creature banned from the garden of Eden was man. In the eyes of these religions, the animals are incapable of evil because they don't know what it is.

They do, however, say God made man master of the animals. I find this belief ironic, since God obviously didn't bother to make man master if himself.

There is no good or evil; there are only arbitrary rules for interaction. We may think we are quite different from other animals, but our rules are pretty much the same. We can get along, but if you try to take what I say is mine or push me around, I'll bite you. Keep it up, and I'll kill you. The only difference is teeth vs. explosives, and that we make slaves.

Stand-up comedian Jim Jefferies summed up the bible, quran and 10 commandments into single line; "Don't be a cunt".
:lol:
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm neither an expert in those religions nor do care about them much, so maybe "evil" was the wrong term, but these religions belief that animals are inferior. You can see an example in our language: many people (even so calles atheists that live in a culture that is stamped from those religions) use terms like: "you stupid dog", "you pig" as insults. Or often serial killers are called "animals" etc..

Another thing is that in contrast to buddhism stamped cultures we began to change nature, because nature is not good so we must change it (I know that this is simplified, but I think you know what I mean).

Quote:
There is no good or evil;

thats exactly what I mean! maybe 300 years ago the majority thought that there is good and evil, today the majority thinks that this is a subjective construction. It's the same thing with religious people and atheists. (You said correctly that today are many "religious-science-people" around, do you remember? :) )
So the claim that there is no good and evil is just another claim like the opposite. I think good and evil exists, you can "experience" evil when you see how a child is raped and cut into pieces. Of course you can say that everything is constructed but then you have to be consequent in the sense that even your personality etc is contructed.

Quote:
We may think we are quite different from other animals, but our rules are pretty much the same. We can get along, but if you try to take what I say is mine or push me around, I'll bite you. Keep it up, and I'll kill you. The only difference is teeth vs. explosives, and that we make slaves.

lol yes, agreed :lol: but I think it could be different! Me as an animal lover think that humans could be different and better than brutal nature and animals, but in a healthy sense! Not in a "a dog is inferior" sense!
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21625417

Grounded US F-35 fighter jet fleet to resume flights
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: