Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Liberal 2nd Amendment: You have the right to be a victim
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
sweet guns on campus. Coupled with skyrocketing tuition, i am glad I am done with college.

I remember a girl, Katy, from 1986 who was raped, brutally beaten (to the point of being unrecognizable), strangled, and left dead one night while walking back to her dorm. She never regained consciousness and was eventually taken off life support.


sad story. I remember a guy got shot in the head because of easy access to guns.

anecdotes > /dev/null.

I was mainly just remembering somebody, but violence on campus is far from being a new problem (which your comment seems to suggest). I can suggest a scholarly article if you prefer.


violence on campuses is a huge problem. I just think giving a whole bunch of drunk 20 year olds with raging hormones is a dumb idea. But I am glad if we are experimenting with this, it is going to occur well across the ocean from me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were talking about people with concealed carry permits. Concealed carry permits are granted through a pretty deliberate process (and very restrictively in most states).

As it pertains to this situation, the relevance is that here you have women who have been granted permits for personal protection (for example, many woman who have been stalked or raped), and now they are being told, as part of the effort to prevent violence on campus, they can't have it there.

juniper wrote:
But I am glad if we are experimenting with this, it is going to occur well across the ocean from me.

I think you are confused. This university has always permitted them, but is now prohibiting them. How does that experiment threaten you? As I understand your views, you should be applauding this. The only people this hurts are individuals needing personal protection (such as women being stalked, rape victims, etc.).
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
But I am glad if we are experimenting with this, it is going to occur well across the ocean from me.

I think you are confused. This university has always permitted them, but is now prohibiting them. How does that experiment threaten you? As I understand your views, you should be applauding this. The only people this hurts are individuals needing personal protection (such as women being stalked, rape victims, etc.).

simple explanation... he's sexist. he doesn't want women to be able to protect themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or he's a stalker or rapist. Maybe that's why he had to leave Canada. :o
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he been sympathetic to Assange?
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I believe he has. And he's one of those vegetable people too.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
But I am glad if we are experimenting with this, it is going to occur well across the ocean from me.

I think you are confused. This university has always permitted them, but is now prohibiting them. How does that experiment threaten you? As I understand your views, you should be applauding this. The only people this hurts are individuals needing personal protection (such as women being stalked, rape victims, etc.).

simple explanation... he's sexist. he doesn't want women to be able to protect themselves.


No. Call me crazy, but I think there are ways to solve problems without guns. There was a comprehensive safe walk program at my uni (call, get a walk home, free of charge), martial arts classes, pepper spray being sold and generally non rapey men helping women out. I would always offer to walk a friend home after a party or night out, and almost never get refused. there was no custom of refusing a walk home out of politeness. It was a shitload of walking for me, but that's life.

this is not specific to women. reaching for a gun to solve problems will lead to more deaths. kinda bad, no?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Hmmm... I believe he has. And he's one of those vegetable people too.


pesto, mayo, artichoke, sundried tomato, rocket sandwich & cheddar tonight, with some nicely fried tomatoes, washed down with some ale. I don't eat crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have a meal there if you threw some turkey in that sandwich. :P
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed down what, the sink? Washing down food isn't an endorsement. Aside from that, those ingredients would go well with bacon, or a cheeseburger.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they might make a nice salad.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With bacon, steak, chicken, maybe even tuna. Unless you're trying to get with a vegetarian.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's probably some horse in that artichoke. It's in everything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol:
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
There's probably some horse in that artichoke. It's in everything else.

That's what the horseradish is for.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
You'd have a meal there if you threw some turkey in that sandwich. :P


I don't know what turkey tastes like, but it smells revolting. I have been to christmas dinners and it boggled my mind how people ate that stuff. and people wax on about the smell of bacon, which to me smells like cheap fat (like a greasy spoon). beef or chicken seems the least appalling, but I am happy without.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us have more Neanderthal genes and go for that savage eating of flesh thing. Our brains excrete endorphins when salty fatty blood drips down the back of our throats.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
I don't know what turkey tastes like, but it smells revolting. I have been to christmas dinners and it boggled my mind how people ate that stuff. and people wax on about the smell of bacon, which to me smells like cheap fat (like a greasy spoon). beef or chicken seems the least appalling, but I am happy without.
Have you never eaten meat or animal products? I think that's the easiest way to go, never to start in the first place. I've tried and occasionally keep looking for vegetarian food, but rarely do I find anything which has a texture I can keep down.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chick pea curries can be pretty good. Or chili sans carne. Or pasta, chopped spinach and a crumbly, toasted mix of crushed walnuts, breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic and lemon. Loads of options.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned, I've tried many and found them to be lacking.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Chick pea curries can be pretty good. Or chili sans carne. Or pasta, chopped spinach and a crumbly, toasted mix of crushed walnuts, breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic and lemon. Loads of options.

Sounds yummy. That would be excellent with some pate de foie gras, rye toast points, and maybe a bit of haggis.
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Jan 2003
Posts: 1593
Location: Gentoo64 land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
You'd have a meal there if you threw some turkey in that sandwich. :P


I don't know what turkey tastes like, but it smells revolting. I have been to christmas dinners and it boggled my mind how people ate that stuff. and people wax on about the smell of bacon, which to me smells like cheap fat (like a greasy spoon). beef or chicken seems the least appalling, but I am happy without.

turkey tastes like a unicorn shitting a rainbow directly onto your tongue. it boggles my mind how you wouldn't want a unicorn to shit a rainbow directly into your mouth...

mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, get in my belly bessie. ( this is what i say whenever i'm devouring a good steak ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
_________________
True Liberals are individualists. Democrats, on the other hand, are authoritarian collectivists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
I don't know what turkey tastes like, but it smells revolting. I have been to christmas dinners and it boggled my mind how people ate that stuff. and people wax on about the smell of bacon, which to me smells like cheap fat (like a greasy spoon). beef or chicken seems the least appalling, but I am happy without.
Have you never eaten meat or animal products? I think that's the easiest way to go, never to start in the first place. I've tried and occasionally keep looking for vegetarian food, but rarely do I find anything which has a texture I can keep down.


Only by accident have I eaten animal (i eat dairy and eggs).

BK mentions salt and fat, and let me say I am not immune to that temptation. Salty and fatty is good. Vegetarian food isn't light, or needn't be (eg indian food and butter content). In any case, I never quit eating meat because I never began (parents are vegetarian). People expect that I am small, but i am not (95kg, 190cm = 210lbs, 6 '4').

I too do not like vegetarian food that is made to taste like meat. They generally range from nasty to inedible. I remember when veggie burgers came out. I really didn't like them. Only when modern veggie burgers came out did I start liking them (i.e. instead of soya with tons of preservatives, a nice bean burger freshly made). In fact, I pretty much can't eat a burger unless it is freshly made (I make them myself. Or, in restaurants, I won't order it unless it is made in house. Only rarely can I stomach a packaged burger).

I would say your best bet for inspiration is to avoid vegetarian food that tries to mimic meat. If you are similarly turned off weird soya/quorn crap (i never saw quorn in US/Canada, it is a vile british substance), you will likely have to eat a lot of pulses (beans, lentils etc). I love that stuff, so that is cool with me. The other thing is to try recipes from veggie friendly cuisines, as they have stood the test of time and broad sampling (indian is tops, but various asian and middle eastern is good too). I have a well stocked cupboard with spices (my mom is a great cook, she helped me set it up), so I generally don't have to look for things like that.

Depending on where you live, modern vegetarian is great (London is great for it).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16102
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the meat substitutes are the worst. I've not had a freshly made veggie burger, so that may explain my opinion of them :D (Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean burger isn't bad, but not really all that good either).

In general, legumes and lentils aren't my thing. They usually seem to be uncooked (too crunchy for "al dente") or mushy. Neither is appealing. Black beans seem to be the least objectionable. I've even had a black been quesadilla that is amazingly good. I've had far more that were unpalatable (edible, but wouldn't order them again). I keep searching :)
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum