Safe cflags for piledriver?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ion Silverbolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Safe cflags for piledriver? Reply with quote

I just purchased a new laptop with an AMD A6 APU. From what I can tell, it uses the new piledriver core. Laptop is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312242

Information is kind of vague about compile options at this point. Will bdver2 work if I'm using gcc-7.2? Or is this processor lacking options that would prevent compiling with that march setting as compared to a desktop APU of the same core?

I may just use march=native and compile everything with the laptop when I receive it, but ideally, I'd rather compile everything from my phenom 2 6-core desktop. Anyone have some good advice about how to go forward? I'm going to use gcc-4.7 without lto. Thanks.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Safe cflags for piledriver? Reply with quote

-march=bdver2 is correct.
Packages which were built for the Phenom II can also be used on the A6. However it is best to disable 3dnow there, as the A6 does not support it natively and has to emulate via microcode.
Ion Silverbolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried compiling the binaries for my laptop on my phenom 2 desktop using bdver2 and -mno-3dnow. I got a lot of illegal instruction errors. Evidently there is enough of a difference to cause issue.

Oddly, it was never an issue using btver1 when I was making binaries for my e450 netbook.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. I'll probably just use the native binaries from my desktop, or maybe even compile from the laptop if it runs cool enough.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried compiling the binaries for my laptop on my phenom 2 desktop using bdver2 and -mno-3dnow.
Of course this doesn't work. If you compile on the Phenom II, you need its instruction set minus 3dnow. So "-march=amdfam10 -mno-3dnow"

Alternatively, use distcc or icecream.
Ion Silverbolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll just use distcc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: