View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Closey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Steam for linux Reply with quote

So.. what do you guys think? Any interest?

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/linux_release/

About time at least.. the catalog isn't overly big yet of course, but still. A step in the right direction. :)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, got myself Amnesia for my upcoming holidays, Dungeons of Dredmore and Counterstrike.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to stick with Team Fortress 2. Whenever I buy a game, I just get bored with it and go back to playing online multiplayer. I guess I'm only having fun when there's another human being on the other side.

Linux gamers have been dreaming about this day for so long. Now that they have it, what now? They have the best PC gaming marketplace, now it's just a matter of publishers porting their fucking pieces of shit to Linux.

Is it smooth sailing to the downfall of Windows gaming from here on out, or is this going to make game developers realize that developing games on Linux fucking sucks and will refuse to do it?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
I'm just going to stick with Team Fortress 2. Whenever I buy a game, I just get bored with it and go back to playing online multiplayer. I guess I'm only having fun when there's another human being on the other side.

Linux gamers have been dreaming about this day for so long. Now that they have it, what now? They have the best PC gaming marketplace, now it's just a matter of publishers porting their fucking pieces of shit to Linux.

Is it smooth sailing to the downfall of Windows gaming from here on out, or is this going to make game developers realize that developing games on Linux fucking sucks and will refuse to do it?

well buying some of the games will influence their decision. Or so I hope.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRM, no thanks.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
DRM, no thanks.

No commercial games for you then :P
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for me, personally, once more games get ported over to Linux, I'll be able to drop my Windows computer for good!

BRING ON THE PORTS!!!! (please!!!!)
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great. So perhaps developers will start programming OS independent games (well, I do hope that does not mean all games get written in Java now). Blizzard announced they will publish a game for Linux this year, too, and I don't think they'd've considered this hadn't Valve taken the step.
We'll see.
Now it's time for the harvest
Closey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even a linux user any more these days.. at least not really. My desktop is running Win7 (for gaming really) and my server just had it's drive die and I haven't been able to afford a replacement just yet.

Still, pretty cool new imho.

Oh and yeah.. it's DRM, sure. But still.. if I have to pick a DRM solution (and you basically do these days sadly) I'd go with Steam every day of the week.

Let's just hope for a lot of games now!
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crusader Kings 2 too tempting. Europa Universalis IV will be a definite purchase now.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the "FPS" genre to go away. I haven't seen one of them which has been compelling. I'd rather play almost any 2600 or NES game over anything released in the last 20 years or so.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm still waiting for the "FPS" genre to go away. I haven't seen one of them which has been compelling. I'd rather play almost any 2600 or NES game over anything released in the last 20 years or so.

Wat?

Team Fortress 2, BioShock, Fallout, Portal...
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
BioShock

System Shock :C
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
pjp wrote:

Wat?

What?

"TF2 is a team-based first-person shooter (FPS) multiplayer video game"
"BioShock is a first-person shooter video game"

Portal is still an FPS*, it just happens to include puzzle work. I will say the demo I just watched at least made the genre a little interesting. * At least based on the demo, it very much seemed to involve the S.

Haven't found enough about Fallout, but it might be OK. Though the round-based RPG style always seemed to suffer in game play. But at least it isn't an FPS.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
pjp wrote:

Wat?

What?

"TF2 is a team-based first-person shooter (FPS) multiplayer video game"
"BioShock is a first-person shooter video game"

Portal is still an FPS*, it just happens to include puzzle work. I will say the demo I just watched at least made the genre a little interesting. * At least based on the demo, it very much seemed to involve the S.

Haven't found enough about Fallout, but it might be OK. Though the round-based RPG style always seemed to suffer in game play. But at least it isn't an FPS.

Wat?

So how do classify and think of FPS's? If you just want to describe all of them as "looking through the eyes of a person and holding a gun-thingy", then yes, they are all the same.

I've only played the demo's for BioShock and Fallout 3, but I think they deserve their own sub-category of FPS's, in that it's not just 'give a dude a gun and start spraying everywhere'. It's RPG-play and have a deeper atmosphere and story than games like CoD or Battlefield can offer. BioShock in particular had an excellent atmosphere.

TF2 is closer to mindless spraying everywhere category, but the range of classes differ very wildly in how they play. You can play a dude that disappears, sneaks up on people and stab them in the back, or play a dude that heals everyone. Just install it and give it a shot, it's free AND on Linux now.

Now, of all the games here, you should at least play Portal 1. Portal is one of the funniest damn games I've ever played, from start to credits. It's $5 and about 4 hours long. Out of all the FPS's here, this is the one you should definitely play.

Last edited by Mardok45 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
BioShock

System Shock :C

Thief 1 and 2.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
If you just want to describe all of them as "looking through the eyes of a person and holding a gun-thingy", then yes, they are all the same.
Unless there is an aspect which makes it NOT that, then yes, that is what they seem like. For obvious reasons, Portal does seem to offer a different aspect.

Mardok45 wrote:
I've only played the demo's for BioShock and Fallout 3, but I think they deserve their own sub-category of FPS's, in that it's not just 'give a dude a gun and start spraying everywhere'. It's RPG-play and have a deeper atmosphere and story than games like CoD or Battlefield can offer. BioShock in particular had an excellent atmosphere.
I tried to find examples of the ones which weren't clearly FPS games, but I didn't come across anything for Fallout. I'll see what I can find for Fallout 3. The WW2 aspect wasn't personally appealing, but I'm curious about the game-play.

Mardok45 wrote:
Now, of all the games here, you should at least play Portal 1. Portal is one of the funniest damn games I've ever played, from start to credits. It's $5 and about 4 hours long. Out of all the FPS's here, this is the one you should definitely play.
Thanks, I'll check out the requirements. Looks worth $5.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Unless there is an aspect which makes it NOT that, then yes, that is what they seem like. For obvious reasons, Portal does seem to offer a different aspect.

Come on now, you don't clump all the Linux and BSD distributions into one big stereotype of command-line driven servers that are only used by neckbeards who live in their parents basements, you don't clump all news networks as the same because they report the same damn news, you don't call all the presidents of the US the saDo I have to go on?

pjp wrote:
I just looked on Steam, it's actually $10 and not on Linux. Last time I checked it was $5. It was probably during a sale.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:

Thief 1 and 2.

What about them? I only know Thief 1. From what I remember, this is quite the opposite of a FPS. It's a FPnS. Looked really nice. Unfortunately I never played because at the time I didn't have a decent computer.
Closey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
If you just want to describe all of them as "looking through the eyes of a person and holding a gun-thingy", then yes, they are all the same.

Mardok45 wrote:
I tried to find examples of the ones which weren't clearly FPS games, but I didn't come across anything for Fallout. I'll see what I can find for Fallout 3. The WW2 aspect wasn't personally appealing, but I'm curious about the game-play.

Mardok45 wrote:

It really is worth a shot. I vastly prefer Portal 2 though but if you play them you ought to play the first one first. They're two of the best games I've played in a very long time, all categories included.

Sure, if you're not usually into the FPS genre it might take a bit of time to get comfortable with the controls I suppose, but hang in there if you think you might enjoy a game with humor and that takes some thinking to get through. :)
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
What about them? I only know Thief 1. From what I remember, this is quite the opposite of a FPS. It's a FPnS. Looked really nice. Unfortunately I never played because at the time I didn't have a decent computer.

You have a bow and arrows. It totally counts as a FPS.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, next Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines counts for an FPS
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed steam when some decent ebuild started to appear. Since it updates automatically I don't know how long that'll work, but at least with the official unveiling I can now install Half-Life. If more of the games I play on my crappy laptop gets ported maybe my desktop will become my gaming machine again. It has a real gpu at least.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
Clad in Sky wrote:

Yes, but you're not supposed to shoot anyone, as far as I know.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
Clad in Sky wrote:

Yes, but you're not supposed to shoot anyone, as far as I know.

It's not just for shooting people, it's for putting out lights, stretching a rope, making grass so you can sneak up on shit, making a noise to distract people, and other things. Also, that's only on the more difficult levels, and even then you can still "kill" the zombies.

Dr.Willy wrote:
Yeah, next Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines counts for an FPS

Hey, why not? We're entering a generation where genre's are being mixed and matched.

But in all seriousness, where would you draw the line on not calling a video game anything other than an FPS, even though it has FPS elements?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: