"externally" creating a gentoo system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jody
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: "externally" creating a gentoo system? Reply with quote

Hi
We have a server running fedora which i would like to change to a gentoo system (as i feel more at home with gentoo than with fedora).
This server is being used intensively so that i can have it down only for short periods.
I have installed a new harddisk in the server to have the new operating system completely independent of the existing one.

So far, i have only installed gentoo systems on computers by booting them from an installation CD.

Is there a possibility to install a gentoo system on a hard disk residing on a computer without having to reboot it ?

Thank You
Jody
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: "externally" creating a gentoo system? Reply with quote

jody wrote:
Hi
We have a server running fedora which i would like to change to a gentoo system (as i feel more at home with gentoo than with fedora).
This server is being used intensively so that i can have it down only for short periods.
I have installed a new harddisk in the server to have the new operating system completely independent of the existing one.

So far, i have only installed gentoo systems on computers by booting them from an installation CD.

Is there a possibility to install a gentoo system on a hard disk residing on a computer without having to reboot it ?

Thank You
Jody

The process is the same, you don't really have to do anything differently. The handbook perfectly describes the process for installation from both: live disks and an already installed linux so of any kind. The only difference is that, instead of booting a livecd you just open an xterm and works from there.

EDIT. Of course, you might want to preserve the old OS while you adjust the Gentoo based one to work as expected, and for that purpose, you will want to configure grub to dual boot between both OSes. You can use whatever boot loader is installed, you just need to add the new boot entry for Gentoo.
jody
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification.

Now that you spell it out for me, it seems clear - i usually immediately work from my workstation using ssh as soon as i have booted the new computer with the CD and started sshd.

The dual boot i have already planned so i can use small free time slots to do "quick" tests.

Thanks again
Jody
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, you will see that the procedure is mostly the same once you get your hands on it. In the case that some problem arises, just ask here or open a new thread if you feel that it is necessary. :D
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's blocking you from using fedora to chroot into the other drive???

Also if the machine supports virtualization it'd be worth looking into it.
jody
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to create a gentoo system now by ssh'ing into the server and performing the same steps as in the handbook.

@_______0 : finally i did use fedora to chroot into the other drive...
Regarding virtualization: i don't know much about it i don't want to risk crasing the productive server.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: