Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shdcn:

Congrats on these developments.

Currently i have no need to install gentoo, had a month ago or so. But i think this is great value for Gentoo.

What can i do to help ?
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS:

The way you are developing the "gentoo easy install" is pretty much what i want.

From a quick look, the profile configuration is very nice.

Maybe a global profile that has a set of profiles, more like "normal gentoo profile" ( like packages and user and normal stuff ) and a "hardware gentoo profile" where one would configure the machine hardware

Also support maybe for a world package, so one would only specify a world package and it would install.

It would be nice if later on, we would have "Gentoo community editions", where we could exchange profiles and it would "recreate the edition".

Will take a look more closelly when I get out from work!
shdcn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you yagami, for your support :)
I'd like to hear pros/cons and any ideas like the ones you named. Cause I'm not really sure about what to do next on my script. It has too much code and functions need some organizing. Maybe a rewrite from scratch is what I should do.
I'll think of something when I have enough time. Anyways, happy to see positive feedback, thank you again for that.
elmie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome script. thanks for coming up with one.

I must admit after installing/reinstall Gentoo a few hundred times the process does get tiring. and this script will speed things up.
Although as others has suggested that installing it is the whole point of the exercise, which is true, but when you're the admin and you already know your stuff or at least know how to install Gentoo. you sometimes just don't have time nor care to go through the processes again.
elmie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome script. thanks for coming up with one.

I must admit after installing/reinstall Gentoo a few hundred times the process does get tiring. and this script will speed things up.
Although as others has suggested that installing it is the whole point of the exercise, which is true, but when you're the admin and you already know your stuff or at least know how to install Gentoo. you sometimes just don't have time nor care to go through the processes again.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ideas about the instalation script :

Could some package instalations be automatic by portage ( as there seems to be lots of specified packages toinstall on easygentoo script file ).

The profile file is nice, very good. Could there be a way of specifying the USE flags manually ? ( thinking an config file for use flags, like mylaptop, myworkcomputer, mydesktop) and then just referencing them on the profile ?.

add an option to create binpkg and march=x86, does almost making perfect for reinstalation on alot of computers.

what do you think ?
shdcn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome elmie, hope it helps you more than you think ^^

@yagami
* I think you mean "using emerge xfce4-meta is better than using emerge xorg-server; emerge eselect-fontconfig fontconfig mesa-progs setxkbmap; emerge xfce4-meta xfce4-notifyd". You may be right. I will check if it works ok that way.
* Specifying USE flags should not be that hard, we just need duplicate/opposite check to avoid conflicts. I'll be working on that.
* I have never used binary packages and have zero knowledge about them. I will try to learn and test your suggestion too.

Thank you both for your feedback.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shdcn wrote:

I have never used binary packages and have zero knowledge about them. I will try to learn and test your suggestion too.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Actually works very well ... putting the param in emerge to build binpkg , portage afterwards is smart enought to know if emerging the same package again with the same use flags, it will use the binpkg. there isnt really much needed ( just a large disk to store the binpkgs ).
Oniryczny
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this script work with my (extremally) old laptop, Toshiba 1800-804 with 512MB SDRAM and serial mouse?
shdcn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oniryczny;
I didn't have a chance to test it on old computers but evdev should detect your serial mouse without problems. Low RAM shouldn't be on your way but you will have long compile times. I think (hope) it will work fine with your laptop.

yagami I'm testing binary package creation/usage and user specified USE flags right now, everything looks fine. I'll add these options soon. Should have done that by now but I don't have much free time.
DeckedSpring67
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude, it fails while trying to merge udev coz systemd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: