View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumanov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Artifacts with xf86-video-intel after kernel update Reply with quote

Hi, friends!
Recently I had some problems with xf86-video-intel-2.20.13, (artifacts in gtk applications in my KDE) and they were solved after updating to xf86-video-intel-2.20.14 and latter. These times I used kernel 3.5.7
Now, after updating to 3.7.9 kernel I see some artifact in scroll bar at thunderbird (not always - sometimes): with artifacts, and how it should be, in Libreoffice when saving documents (also not regularly (here).
Downgrading to xf86-video-intel-2.20.13 seams to solve these problems, but I get the same gtk issues like I had before this update

Could you help to solve this problem.
Thank you in advance!
Tumanov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS changing flags from sna to -sna uxa glamor changed the situation. Now everything looks good.
Tumanov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But rendering now is very long... I came back to sna with these artifacts. Probably I should buy a new Notebook?! With intel HD Graphics...
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Artifacts with xf86-video-intel after kernel update Reply with quote

Tumanov wrote:
Hi, friends!
Recently I had some problems with xf86-video-intel-2.20.13.....after updating to 3.7.9 kernel I see some artifact in scroll bar.....Could you help to solve this problem.

I haven't seen problems with xf86-video-intel-2.20.13, but have had problems with all higher versions on my ~amd64 installations:

I have repeatedly encountered artifacts in vlc (a large bar at the left of the display when using video crop) with unstable versions of xf86-video-intel 2.20.x where x>13 using the latest stable kernels from gentoo-sources. The same problems occur on my funtoo systems. I use sna acceleration*. All problems have been eliminated after switching to stable versions of video drivers on my otherwise unstable gentoo system. I have in my package.accept_keywords:
Code:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources   -~amd64
x11-base/xorg-server   -~amd64
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel   -~amd64
media-libs/mesa   -~amd64
www-client/firefox   -~amd64
# All of kde-base has been set for "reject unstable versions".  The command used:
# ls | sed "s|^|kde-base/|" | sed "s|/$| -~amd64|" >>/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
kde-base/akonadi -~amd64

This ~amd64 sandy bridge i5 installation has been working well with these few packages held at stable versions so I'll just dump this info into the thread for reference.

* p.s. I also enable the tearfree option in xorg.conf:
Code:

Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
        Option      "TearFree"     "True"
        Identifier  "IntelVideo"
        Driver      "intel"

I get low cpu usage, tear-free, glass-smooth video playback with vlc and mplayer, and nice flawless graphics in KDE (composited) and xmonad (non-composited). Very happy. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: