View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piorekf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone with kmail problems confirm that downgrading/upgrading openssl as mentioned here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=455886 fixes the problem?
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
This mess hit me on both 32 bit and 64bit Gentoo systems. As others mentioned, no amount of rebuilds or the usual suspects worked. In my case, kmail2 was borked on both my 4.10 reboots. ( I know, I know, what am I doing still believing in kmail after all these recent years of misery since akonadi/nepomuk was pushed into the kde desktop agenda) ---snip---

kmail was killed back in 2010. I never bothered any more after akonadi/nepomuk bs. Kmail used to be one of the best e-mail clients and now it's a sad and useless joke. This whole akonadi/nepomuk/f*knf*k nonsense is the worst thing ever happened to KDE.

New KDE crashes if I open minimized konsle window. All I can tell about this random event is that konsole is somehow involved.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_c_p wrote:
j_c_p wrote:
Xywa : sadly no :( .
I'm trying to backup all the stuff in order to make a new installation of kmail.

Kollin : thanks for the link.

I'm back to KDE 4.9.5 and kmail works again (with every of my 12 years emails :D ).
There was no way to run kmail under KDE 4.10.0 (mbox format and pop3).

edit : see the other topic thread too.

Lucky you! I am going to pay 50$ now for someone who can help to rescue my old emails. As I said here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-950578-highlight-.html
after updating into 4.10.0 kmail did not work, so with other advise I've added sqlite USE flag to akonadi-server and started kmail again (with QMYSQL driver in akonadiserverrc file). Kmail DID work, all the account were fine, but withouts emails. So I changed driver back into QSQLITE3, I had again kmail, all old folders and emails, but kmail was busy by "Retrieving Folder Contents Please wait . . ." so I had no access to them or to make an Archive. On my other laptop I've made stable Gentoo wit kde 4.9.5 and copied all data files into a virgin account. After starting kmail It was strange behavior but after 15 sec all the folders looked like with QMYSQL driver in akonadiserverrc file on other laptop. I am worry that database might be corrupte by changing the driver, but hopefuly in akonadiconsole I see all the folders emails, only I have to recieve them. Anyway, we have cold winter and those plasma-desktop 100% CPU effect nicely heat my hands on my laptop :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed 4.10 myself. So far I haven't seen any crashes, a few tiny new features buried in the settings, but then I have it stripped down as bare as possible already. I use GTK apps for anything I need to actually work.

The first visible change I came across, however, was incredible: mousing over the icons in systemsettings causes the font hinting on them to change.

I can't begin to comprehend how FUBAR the internals must be for something like that to even break that way.

And now I just realised the taskbar is broken. It only shows a random fraction of running programs unless I unselect "Only show tasks from the current activity". Fun.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy am I glad I made a complete backup of my system on January 20.
I simply wiped the whole shebang and replaced it with the backup.
Now I'm running 4.9.5 again and all is well.
I've always used thunderbird for mails,kmail always had something or other not working right.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one around here who a) knew what they did when installing a .0 version and b) has no problems with kde-4.10.0? But I daresay this is one of the threads where generally only those who find something "nasty" post.
I can not reproduce the "font hinting change" issue. So maybe it does not necessarily have something to do with KDE-4.10.0 in general? Oh, and my taskbar works just fine, excatly how I configured it (at the time around ~kde-4.4.x). ("Only show tasks from the current activity" is set, btw, just had a look.)
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Am I the only one around here who a) knew what they did when installing a .0 version and b) has no problems with kde-4.10.0?

"No problem" would not be true - but no crasher.
The weirdest issue is on the way to get fixed:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314625

The "most severe" issue is this:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314690

And two nepomuk related bugs:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314575
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314980

That's it. Quite calm .0, I would say...
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last experience.

Finally, I received my old emails and can smoothly use 4.10.0! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

What I had to do, it was to delete all old kde configurations files in my /home directory from 4.9.5 (as advised), but I created a virgin new account there, to be 100% sure there is nothing inside from previous version. In this new account I had no problems with anything so far and plasma-desktop 100% CPU was much more rarely. On branch new kmail (which works fine) I created again all account (pop, smtp, etc) and imported all old messages by "Import Messages.." from file menu of kmail. Now kmail works perfect!

To recover my old emails I have made a fresh account on another laptop withs stable kde (4.9.5) and copied into account only this (no any other configurations files, as first time It did work well):
Quote:
Everything under ~/.local/share/
Everything under ~/.config/akonadi/.

...from this guide
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips/en#Transfer_mail_and_settings_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29
after this I had all emails on other laptop and all I had to do it was - Archive folders, which archives I have moved back into my first computer and imported into kmail 4.10.0.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links franzf.
I wonder what the kde devs had in mind.
An upgrade shouldn't necessitate wiping your existing rc's.
It should honor them.
If this is impossible because of major changes in the software then at least provide scripts to convert them to the new syntax!

@Xywa,
I have 6 desktops for different activities,it was at the time my main reason to switch from 3.5 to 4.x.
At first after a reboot everything would be in a shambles.
Found a workaround by making certain rc's unwritable.
Kde apparently became aware of this and introduced the clickable "Lock/Unlock Widgets" thing.

So far I haven't been able to find another Linux desktop that offers what kde does.
Tried razorqt,promising but not able to make me use systemsettings from kde to set my wacom tablet.
So I'll wait until 4.10 hits the stable branch.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
j_c_p
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Xywa :D !
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
b) has no problems with kde-4.10.0?

Before, or after:

Code:
*plasma-workspace-4.10.0-r1 (08 Feb 2013)

08 Feb 2013; Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>
  +plasma-workspace-4.10.0-r1.ebuild,
  +files/plasma-workspace-4.10.0-norepeater.patch:
  Add workaround patch for plasma-workspace crash, see bug 450818 and kde bug
  311751 comments 2 and 32.

I don't think I've had any visible issues that I know of after that (used the optimisation workaround before this revision).

Yamakuzure wrote:
I can not reproduce the "font hinting change" issue. So maybe it does not necessarily have something to do with KDE-4.10.0 in general?

Me neither, unless it's what happens to me with FXAA enabled (if that's even why what I'm thinking of happens, can't test it right now, but if it is what I think it is, it's been happening before).

I'm thinking it probably isn't that.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@franzf: That is what I meant. Those are known issues. And before I go installing a new version of KDE I normally check with http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules to see what is done and what isn't. (More specifically for KDE 4.10: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.10_Feature_Plan where you can see what is done, and what isn't.)

@Xywa: That is weird, but I daresay it is something very individual. I have not deleted and/or edited any configuration file for KDE4, Akonadi, Nepomuk, Kmail, or whatever. And everything simply works for me - I am absolutely aware of the fact that "for me" is highly individual, too.

Do not understand me wrong, please! I do not claim that while it works for me it can't fall apart for anybody else. It sure can!

@Chiitoo:
Code:
sed@sed-notebook ~ $ eix plasma-workspace
[I] kde-base/plasma-workspace
     Available versions:  (4) 4.9.5 (~)4.10.0 ~4.10.0-r1[1] **4.10.49.9999^mt[1] **9999^mt[1]
        {{aqua debug google-gadgets gps +handbook json python qalculate +rss semantic-desktop}}
     Installed versions:  4.10.0(4)(03:48:51 09.02.2013)(handbook python rss semantic-desktop -aqua -debug -google-gadgets -gps -json -qalculate)
     Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/
     Description:         Plasma: KDE desktop framework

[1] "kde" /var/lib/layman/kde
So the answer is: before.
But I guess I should sync today...
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure,

That's pretty interesting. I tried renaming my .kde4 and I would still get the crash happen, which was mentioned in a related bug report (right now I can't remember which one, nor if it was at bugs gentoo or at bugs kde). It wasn't completely empty of a space though, unlike the one with my .kde4 in place. Parts of the workspace such as an empty panel and (maybe) the background image were there, but no Kickoff Application Launcher for example which I think should be there by default. Maybe I remember wrong.

Sadly I didn't try adding anything or experimenting more with it, as I guess I had better things to do with my time... or so I think I guess. :)

I didn't try a completely 'clean' user though.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have issues with screensavers? I noticed that after the upgrade, my screensaver had been switched to the default black screen. I re-enabled the one I was using before (euphoria) and it pretty well nuked my desktop. Only the 2 windows I had open at the time the screensaver kicked in showed up...the rest of the desktop was completely black and unresponsive to anything. Just curious if it's me or anybody else bumping into this.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@platojones:
Well, I am using ASCII-Aquarium, which works (as expected) qithout any issues. But when I tried "KPendulum" it froze my desktop. I had to switch to the console and kill it. I guess they have some OpenGL problems with this (f%c&i§g) intel graphics chipset on my laptop.

@Chiito:
More interesting is, that I have to downgrade plasma-workspace to the pre-r1 version. This patch makes the plasma-desktop process to be on a constant 100% CPU usage on my system. :(

Edith knows: Oho, I do not have to! Reading through the bug you linked confirmed a) I did not need the -r1 in the first place, because the fixed crash does not happen if you use gcc-4.7+, and b) it is a bug in qt-core, that has been fixed in 4.8.4-r3. The hack in plasma-workspace has been removed in plasma-workspace-4.10.0-r2.

Edith is happy about: Another nice thing about KDE-4.10.0 is the reduction in memory consumption, at least after startup. With KDE-4.9.5 conky always showed a RAM usage of ~850MiB right after KDE started and all startup processes settled down. Now it ends with ~690MiB. (With Akonadi running and semantic-desktop turned on everywhere.)
Although that is quite a lot of RAM just to show a desktop, it is almost 19% less than before. Awesome.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
a) I did not need the -r1 in the first place, because the fixed crash does not happen if you use gcc-4.7+

I think I've read at least one post who still had the crash with gcc-4.7.2. But who knows if qt-core was built with the same gcc there...
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the latest update this morning for qt-core and plasma-workspace, all of my issues seem to have been resolved.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

platojones wrote:
With the latest update this morning for qt-core and plasma-workspace, all of my issues seem to have been resolved.

Lucky you! :wink:
Kmail still isn't working here (even with wiping all kde configs) :?
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
platojones wrote:

Yeah, sorry...I gave up on kmail quite a while back...I'm much happier for it.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
platojones wrote:

Then maybe it is something different? Kontact with kmail, LDAP adress books, both POP3 and IMAP mail accounts (one on Microsoft Exchange used via davmail) and several calendars still work.
But then I remember having re-configured everything when I upgraded to KDE-4.9.?, because I ditched Thunderbird (Couldn't stand its extreme flaws any more).
There is another important Folder besides "~/.kde4", the akonadi agents rc configs are stored in "~/.config/akonadi". Did you wipe that? Maybe just some agents rc files are broken?
Oh! And Akonadi uses a local running mysql server here, not the embedded one.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Kollin wrote:
platojones wrote:

Then maybe it is something different? Kontact with kmail, LDAP adress books, both POP3 and IMAP mail accounts (one on Microsoft Exchange used via davmail) and several calendars still work.
But then I remember having re-configured everything when I upgraded to KDE-4.9.?, because I ditched Thunderbird (Couldn't stand its extreme flaws any more).
There is another important Folder besides "~/.kde4", the akonadi agents rc configs are stored in "~/.config/akonadi". Did you wipe that? Maybe just some agents rc files are broken?
Oh! And Akonadi uses a local running mysql server here, not the embedded one.

Yes i did wipe ~/.config/akonadi also.
And akonadi is compiled with sqlite only:

Code:
emerge -pv akonadi-server

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies    ... done!         
[ebuild   R    ] app-office/akonadi-server-1.9.0  USE="sqlite -mysql -postgres {-test}" 0 kB

EDIT: And kmail/akonadi can not retrieve any imap passwords from kwallet also :?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
BTW, anyone know of a foolproof method of getting akonadi and all kdepim friends completely out of a kde4 system, and importing years of kmail emails into, say, thunderbird?

I realise you've fixed your current issue, but just for the record, you can get rid of semantic-craptop by following these instructions but as you're aware you lose KMail. Duncan switched to claws-mail, I switched to mutt and haven't looked back.
Quote:
I've been struggling with this for 3-4 years now. Kde has always been my desktop of choice, but these recurring kmail problems are about to force me into defeat- far too much time and worry spent.

I know how you feel. I've been using KDE for such a long time, but I would have left it with the 4.x shenanigans if not for kate.

I know I can run kate with just kdelibs but it never got quite bad enough to leave, although I simply gave up after weeks of struggling with akonadi (if you need a full-blown production database server running just to make my desktop apps talk to each other, YDIW.)

The "Attach as Tab to.." option in the top-left control icon, with 4.9 is amazing, and flexible because it's so simple, working at the process and WM level, with no dumbass "integration" required. One thing it's made me realise is how dumb the KWin handling of the taskbar is, moving everything around or squashing it if you tell it not to -- I'm actually quite resentful of the amount of my time it's wasted over the last however long.

Still, that's not an issue anymore, and "Attach as Tab to.." enables a whole new way of working, by allowing me to make ad-hoc app groups. Definitely the biggest, and dare I say it only, UI improvement in 4.x afaic, apart from kate's AutoBrace.

Without *kit and semantic-craptop, my machine feels slick, it's like a KDE-3.5 box again :)

I think I'll stay on 4.9 for a bit.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, it was sqlite!
It seems that akonadi wants mysql and everything works as intended. Switching back to sqlite brakes kmail/akonadi.
Now the only apps that are using mysql on my system are akonadi-server and qt-sql... i hate exclusive apps :?
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The "Attach as Tab to.." option in the top-left control icon,

I see no such option; is this from a special build option, and, if you can
spare the time, what is it and what good is it?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
Quote:
The "Attach as Tab to.." option in the top-left control icon,

I see no such option; is this from a special build option, and, if you can
spare the time, what is it and what good is it?

I get the "Attach as Tab to.." with right mouse click menu on window decoration header. No special compilation options
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: