View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subtext
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Nvidia Optimus and X server configuration still failing Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

in my laptop I have an optimus setup. When trying to start the x-server without using a xorg.conf, everything works more or less fine - of course, just the intel card is recognized. (xrandr just lists intel as a provider)
When I try setting up the xorg.conf according to a lot of websites dealing with the same issue, I can't get the x-server to run.
I get the following message: Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.

The Xorg.0.log:
http://paste.org.ru/?qd3uwn

My xorg.conf:
http://paste.org.ru/?700nrc

lspci output:
http://paste.org.ru/?mlb5cj

lsmod output:
http://paste.org.ru/?djvuvv

Setting in make.conf
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia intel modesetting"

I already tried running nvidia-xconfig and uncommenting Option "UseDisplayDevice" "None" but to no avail, searching the internet up to now wasn't successful either.
I hope it just is a trivial issue where I am just missing something but still - help would be really appreciated :)

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by Subtext on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't want intel driver for intel ?
Also, are you sure BusID is correct for the card ?
Subtext
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Are you sure you don't want intel driver for intel ?
Also, are you sure BusID is correct for the card ?

If I understood correctly I need to use modesetting in order to be able to utilize the concept of using the intel card as "sink" for the nvidia card. I took the xorg.conf I wrote directly from this site: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/319.12/README/randr14.html

Also I am pretty sure the BusID is correct unless I made a spelling mistake in the xorg.conf I am not aware about right now (I can't review the files right now as I am at work now and paste.ru is blocked here)

I also think the intel driver is installed correctly as I am able to use the x-server without problems when I delete the xorg.conf. But if I do that, the x-server will only use the intel card.
phnx12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Working configuration Reply with quote

Hi,
I have laptop with optimus. all working well. I end with this configuration is needed:

I have also a switch script witch does switch the nvidia - intel GPU for powersave - PM if you want it.

This is my xorg.conf
Code:

Section "ServerLayout"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    Identifier "layout"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    Screen 0 "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    Inactive "intel"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Device"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Identifier "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    Driver "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Screen"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Identifier "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    Device "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    # Uncomment this line if your computer has no display devices connected to                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    # the NVIDIA GPU.  Leave it commented if you have display devices                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    # connected to the NVIDIA GPU that you would like to use.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    #Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Device"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Identifier "intel"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    Driver "modesetting"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
EndSection                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Section "Screen"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection

and my /usr/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
Code:

#! /bin/sh
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

if [[ "$( head -1 /root/nvidia)" == "1" ]]; then
    xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
    xrandr --auto
fi

Hope it helps.
Subtext
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have tried the proposed solutions but those weren't successful. The problem still persists with the same error message. I think the problem lies within x.org and not the driver.

Solutions tried:

- xorg.conf from phnx12 (I put the xrandr commands in the xinit file but the effect should be the same - anyway, since I can't start the x-server I can't use xrandr anyway)
- exchanging modesetting driver for intel driver
- rechecking the BusID and adding the BusID for the Intel card.

Any other ideas maybe? :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: