View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollovoid7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Problems with focus in Gnome (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a brand new install going here, and for some reason, in gnome, I am having issues with being able to click on menu's, icons, etc, and keyboard shortcuts do not always register properly either. It does work when I first log in until I open something, or click on a menu once. every so often I regain normal usage for a click or two, but I have never seen anything like this.
I dont see any errors in xorg log, and not sure where to even start on this, since my googling has turned up nothing similar.

I am running x86_64, proprietary ati drivers, I can post whatever is needed, but it is kind of rough navigating the system without use of keyboard shortcuts or being able to click with the mouse, so bear with me.
Thanks!
(Note: I believe this is a focus issue because the system is still responsive, I can access program menus with alt key I just can't click on it usually., thanks!)
Note2: Im sure its related but I cant switch to a terminal once I get to gnome, ctrl alt f1-12 results in the screen shutting off, (as in powered down) and if I hit the reset button on my computer it shuts down (!!??). Weird stuff...
hollovoid7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For others that may see this issue, I have a R.A.T.7 Mouse, and apparently evdev isnt up to the task of configuring this thing automatically. After some searching, I found a config that worked (the problem in that forum was unrelated but fixed my issue, so... OK!

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-mouse.conf, add the following...
Code:

Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "Mouse Remap"
        MatchProduct "Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Mouse"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 2 9 10 11 12 0 0 0"
 EndSection

Worked perfectly, and allowed for use of more of the buttons on the mouse. All the clicking issues went away.

Hope this helps someone, because not alot of info on this issue happening, maybe because not many people use this mouse on linux, but this happens on every distro that ive used, I just thought the graphical Livecd's sucked, now I know the mouse was my issue the whole time.
Cheers!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: