l33t War Dogs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: l33t War Dogs Reply with quote

http://www.uproxx.com/news/2011/05/war-dogs-the-ultimate-war-dog-gallery/#page/1
Although this pictures seems to be faked, I believe they actually do this:
http://adinosauratemycrayon.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/snn2105gx1_682_535230a.jpg
As a private person you can buy an elite war dog, but the dogs cost supposedly thousands of dollars...

Thats how a dog must be treated:
Quote:
When a War Dog is killed in action, it receives a proper funeral

"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "you can buy an elite war dog"?
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the website anymore, I've read it somewhere ...
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training police dogs costs ~$30-60k IIRC.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't walk up to a store any buy trained guard/police dogs. They're provided to terminally ill people. (Probably in Britain but I'm sure elsewhere too).

Google it and you'll find the story.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/05/04/war_dog?page=0,3&sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4dc2d8b3e80525a1,0

Is this dog thinking, "Wooooooooo!", or is it thinking, "Dude, why are you making me do this?"
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a documentary about how the dogs that served in Vietnam weren't allowed back into US because of quarantine regulations? (And that they were left to die in cages across Vietnam).
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
You just can't walk up to a store any buy trained guard/police dogs. They're provided to terminally ill people. (Probably in Britain but I'm sure elsewhere too).

Google it and you'll find the story.

There is a difference between therapy dogs, medical alert dogs, handicap assistance dogs, guard dogs, police dogs and "elite war dogs".

A cancer patient needs an aging terrier who likes to snuggle, not a German Shepherd who leaps off the bed every time one of the nurses had kabobs or hummus at lunch and starts ripping arms off.

We actually have a law that protects "retired" military working dogs. People can adopt them, but they are very carefully selected from among many applicants. The military has a farm-like facility at Lackand AFB where those dogs which aren't suitable for adoption go and are well-cared-for for the rest of their lives.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the dogs, which are converted to medical assist dogs. There's a certain age to be a soldier. I'm sure you're aware of that.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this dog thinking, "Wooooooooo!", or is it thinking, "Dude, why are you making me do this?"

I guess he sometimes thinks "Wooooooooo" and sometimes "wtf, wtf, wtf" like a human soldier :)

Quote:
Wasn't there a documentary about how the dogs that served in Vietnam weren't allowed back into US because of quarantine regulations? (And that they were left to die in cages across Vietnam).

yes, but the Vietnam war was the only war in which the dogs weren't allowed to come back (I think many of them were euthanized or assigned to the south Vietnamese army, but I guess the "left to die in cages across Vietnam is maybe more realistic") (one of the many barbaric things in this war... Ok, maybe every war is nearly equal in brutality, I don't know...)

Quote:
A cancer patient needs an aging terrier who likes to snuggle, not a German Shepherd who leaps off the bed every time one of the nurses had kabobs or hummus at lunch and starts ripping arms off.

:lol:

Quote:
We actually have a law that protects "retired" military working dogs. People can adopt them, but they are very carefully selected from among many applicants. The military has a farm-like facility at Lackand AFB where those dogs which aren't suitable for adoption go and are well-cared-for for the rest of their lives.

yes, I believe Clinton signed this law in the year 2000.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
You just can't walk up to a store any buy trained guard/police dogs.
Most don't operate out of stores. If I had money, I could walk up to a trainer and have him train my dog (well, a dog, I doubt my specific one :).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
yes, I believe Clinton signed this law in the year 2000.

I think it was just recently signed, although there have been such policies in effect for some time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: