'Quantum smell' idea gains ground
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: 'Quantum smell' idea gains ground Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21150046

Quote:
A controversial theory that the way we smell involves a quantum physics effect has received a boost, following experiments with human subjects.

It challenges the notion that our sense of smell depends only on the shapes of molecules we sniff in the air.

Instead, it suggests that the molecules' vibrations are responsible.

A way to test it is with two molecules of the same shape, but with different vibrations. A report in PLOS ONE shows that humans can distinguish the two.

I believe we have some physicists on the board? Would like to hear from them.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'Quantum smell' idea gains ground Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

Quote:
A controversial theory that the way we smell involves a quantum physics effect has received a boost, following experiments with human subjects.

It challenges the notion that our sense of smell depends only on the shapes of molecules we sniff in the air.

A way to test it is with two molecules of the same shape, but with different vibrations. A report in PLOS ONE shows that humans can distinguish the two.

I broke wind so violently once that I sharted into another dimension. When your shit is twisted into umpteen dimensions you tend to believe anything.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Quantum smell' idea gains ground Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

Quote:

I remember hearing about this two years ago. The Scyentific Konsensus is that it's the molecules' shape that determine smell, so that's all there is to it. Never mind that someday that idea will be in history books like the idea that there are four elements (earth, fire, water, and air) -- the Kollective Konsensus is the Kollective Konsensus.

This might open entirely new lines of investigation into brain chemistry, and what's wrong with wildhorse. :P
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smell a shape? Next we'll be touching colors.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 'Quantum smell' idea gains ground Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
I broke wind so violently once that I sharted into another dimension. When your shit is twisted into umpteen dimensions you tend to believe anything.

:lol:

Nice Calabi-Yau.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to say:

Artists think they are biologists.
Biologists think they are chemists.
Chemists think they are physicists.
Physicists think they are mathematicians.
Mathematicians think they are god.
God is an artist.

...but now that biologists think they are physicists I'll have to revise it. :)

[quote="Juniper"]I fail to see the relevance.[/quote]
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good.

We need another one with psychologists, economists, philosophers, lawyers, and politicians. Might have to be more of a network-style mapping. Where's dmitchell?
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That's pretty good.

We need another one with psychologists, economists, philosophers, lawyers, and politicians. Might have to be more of a network-style mapping. Where's dmitchell?

It would have to end with all of them being assholes.

tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That's pretty good.

Wagnerophiles.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
That's pretty good.

It would have to end with all of them being assholes.

Of the psychologists, economist and philosophers, only the ones who are professors are necessarily assholes (i.e. P[asshole] > 0.87).

So maybe more to the point would be "academicians, lawyers, and politicians". Perhaps we're missing some others. Maybe "Spiritual/Moral Leaders".

Academicians think they are politicians and spiritual/moral leaders
Politicians think they are spiritual/moral leaders and academicians
Spiritual/Moral Leaders think they are academicians and politicians
Lawyers think they are beneficial to society, when all they really do is charge lots of money to very temporarily clean up the messes systematically created by academicians, politicians and spiritual/moral leaders.

How would one draw that? :lol:
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Of the psychologists, economist and philosophers, only the ones who are professors are necessarily assholes (i.e. P[asshole] > 0.87).

So maybe more to the point would be "academicians, lawyers, and politicians". Perhaps we're missing some others. Maybe "Spiritual/Moral Leaders".

Academicians think they are politicians and spiritual/moral leaders
Politicians think they are spiritual/moral leaders and academicians
Spiritual/Moral Leaders think they are academicians and politicians
Lawyers think they are beneficial to society, when all they really do is charge lots of money to very temporarily clean up the messes systematically created by academicians, politicians and spiritual/moral leaders.

How would one draw that? :lol:

Maybe like a Rock Paper Scissors chart?

Lawyer sues Psychologist
Psychologist psychoanalyzes Philosopher
Philosopher ______ Economist
Economist bamboozles Politician
Politician changes laws on Lawyer

After reading about the subject, I think your avatar fits very well, by the way.

LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chemists think they are physicists.
Physicists think they are mathematicians.
Mathematicians think they are god.

Well thats what I thought too. So I've started with chemistry and in all chemistry books were chapters about physical foundations that explain their laws/principle. Therefore I became more and more fascinated and began to read books about physics ("serious" books and popular stuff like books about stringtheorie from briane greene). But in all those books were chapters about mathematical foundations that explain their laws/principle. Therefore I became more and more fascinated and began to dig into mathematics and even began studying. Then the story repeated itself and I landed in mathematical logic and philosophie. Then I saw that there is nothing deeper and moreover that mathematicians are very far away from god and that even in exact sciences everybody talks something else...
Then came Linux and now I'm quite happy with Gentoo, a C compiler and a beer that helps to forget that I don't understand my existence, but at least I have a working, C-programmed binary clock at the top of my screen. 8) :lol:
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"

Last edited by LoTeK on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortest complete sentence: "Be."

Only somebody who has looked deeply into physics understands that philosophy is the foundation of all scientific thought. What's annoying is listening to people with the ink still wet on their Bachelor of Science diploma ridicule philosophy as "non-scientific". These are the same people who tend to think that science has pretty much explained everything now, and who have a religious-like faith in it, blind to the uncertainties and the vast unknowns.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shortest complete sentence: "Be."

yes, I think thats the word I was looking for.. :)

Quote:
Only somebody who has looked deeply into physics understands that philosophy is the foundation of all scientific thought. What's annoying is listening to people with the ink still wet on their Bachelor of Science diploma ridicule philosophy as "non-scientific". These are the same people who tend to think that science has pretty much explained everything now, and who have a religious-like faith in it, blind to the uncertainties and the vast unknowns.

:!: Nothing to add here, hard to formulate this better.. Sometimes I become pretty aggressive about these diploma-driven faggots, especially when they become religious :)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist here. IMO, the experiment described in the journal linked from the website tests the human detection of slight changes in the shape of a molecule, or whether deuterium is present. There's many indications that many animals have a natural ability to avoid deuterium and filter it out of their bodies since it can slow many chemical reactions.

T. Redston Griffiths, in the 1970's wrote:
When deuterium is involved in a chemical reaction, consideration must be given to a slight change in the inductive effect, as deuterium is more electronegative than hydrogen. Hyper-conjugative effects are also involved since CD3, for example, is less delocalizated than CH3, and, more important, the effective size of a C-D bond is smaller than the effective size of a C-H bond. Thus steric effects have a part to play, reinforcing our contention that any highly stereo-specific enzyme molecule containing a deuteron in an important position has a potential for participating in an error reaction.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? Denial. And if you sailed over the horizon, you'd fall of the Earth, too. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: