Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What scripting language for data visualization ? (octave?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel_Blake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: What scripting language for data visualization ? (octave?) Reply with quote

Hi.

I the following issue.

I have multiple sets of numerical data of data stored in CSV files. I want to write a script that would generate a one page report (preferably svg/pdf) based on that data from each file. The report would have to contain:
- printed list of values
- multiple histograms (charts) of different resolution
- statistical information like average, median, standard deviation etc.

All of these can be generated in matlab/octave. The problem is I have no idea how to "glue" all that text and charts into one page and save in a suitable file format. Any suggestions on how it can be done in octave, or by other means ?
leo.the_zoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest Latex for writing report and dev-lang/R for reading, processing and visualization of your data. It can generate beautiful customized charts of various types (and export them to, e.g. pdf or png formats) and very often even if you need a functionality not present in the core package, you will find and extension that can do what you need. Please see R project webpage for details. I chose R classes back in 2011 as a facultative subject and this was one of my best decisions that year.
Gabriel_Blake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply :) I'll give it a try as soon as I find the time.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is the SciPy suite of tools, which is often used in place of the IDL commercial platform. SciPy has the benefit of using Python as its language, which is also used in a variety of other domains.
Gabriel_Blake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SciPy looks interesting! I wanted to try writing in python for a long time, so this would be a reason to do so :) However, I'm not sure if it'll do the data visualization the way I want it. I can do calculation themselves in Octave - it's preparing the graphical report that concerns me.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SciPy uses matplolib for plotting. You can see some of its capabilities here, and judge if it is adequate for your purposes. If you're doing all of your processing in Octave and are just looking for visualization, you don't need the whole SciPy suite just matplotlib. There are built-in routines for ingesting CSV data.

The idea of SciPy is that it's an end-to-end data processing solution based on arrays. numpy implements the arrays and matplotlib implements visualization (for 2D media). Since it's all glued together in Python, you can incorporate any other tools with Python bindings into your data processing pipeline, such as a GUI toolkit, web service, etc. etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: