View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Best/Favorite coding program Reply with quote

First off: I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I figured it would be pretty close.

Simple question -- What is the "best/favorite" coding program nowadays? The last time I was running Gentoo(5+ years ago), it was Anjuta, and I'm not sure if that is still fairly widely used, or if something new has come about.

Just looking for suggestions as to what/which program I should try out.

Thanks!
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to resist but I can't:

vim

:)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can't, why should I? emacs!

- John
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should narrow it down to a language (and decide if you want editor or IDE advice) to get sensible answers.

For the time being, I'm adding Eclipse to the list :lol:
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw kdevelop in as well. It feels faster than eclipse or netbeans to me.

It also does not have the problems that eclipse does with c++. eclipse + c++ always left something to be desired with debugging and syntactic checking.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I've tried to resist but I can't:

vim

:)

i laughed sir. vi / vim is so highly underrated and yet its been around since berkley bsd.. and most decent editors (emacs,vi,vim,etc.. ) dont have specific languages so ill go ahead and get laughed at. I like vim as well but Geany is great for me. I don't care I love its setup with the terminal and multiple tab features.
GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19 11:17:39 UTC 2012
GNU/Linux
xobtihs
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
You should narrow it down to a language (and decide if you want editor or IDE advice) to get sensible answers.

For the time being, I'm adding Eclipse to the list :lol:

Good point, should have done that in the first place. Would be for c++.
Going to look into some of these other suggestions, see if I can find a good one I like. Thanks for the answers so far!
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, if you can't, why should I? emacs!

I don't want to start a flame war :) , although I don't use emacs I respect it and maybe for lisp programming it's the better choice..

Quote:
i laughed sir. vi / vim is so highly underrated and yet its been around since berkley bsd.. and most decent editors (emacs,vi,vim,etc.. ) dont have specific languages so ill go ahead and get laughed at. I like vim as well but Geany is great for me. I don't care I love its setup with the terminal and multiple tab features.

I think that if one is skilled with vim or emacs commands there cant' be a faster or more efficient coding environment. Aren't the IDE's so successful because one doesn't have to practice vim/emacs techniques?

But if one is skilled in vim one can do everything with it, from just editing text files to develop complex programs. But I am not an experienced programmer so I could be wrong of course.

I didn't know geany, maybe I'll give it a try someday..
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rock gedit with the terminal addon....
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
But if one is skilled in vim one can do everything with it, from just editing text files to develop complex programs. But I am not an experienced programmer so I could be wrong of course.

I might have to give vim more of a chance then. I always knew you could use it for coding, but never tried. Probably just to accustomed to a GUI type program.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinisterdomestik wrote:
I might have to give vim more of a chance then. I always knew you could use it for coding, but never tried. Probably just to accustomed to a GUI type program.
If you want a GUI, I recommend gvim. If you want to perform coding in vim, I suggest enabling both the filetype and syntax features.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emacs blows away vim so bad it's not even a fair comparison. Vim is for noobs.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdevelop from git both at home and at work.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I recently discovered the book: practical vim: edit text at the speed of thought, very good book... the author even wrote his book with vim :) I even started using vim for writing latex documents (before that I've used gummi).

Quote:
If you want a GUI, I recommend gvim.

I've tried gvim too, but I've decided that I want either a "real" GUI/IDE or a minimalistic terminal environment (and the minimalistic styles won), but maybe BK would say that this is because I sometimes tend to be a 01-black/white extremist :)

Quote:
If you want to perform coding in vim, I suggest enabling both the filetype and syntax features

yes and a good colorscheme.. I work with the solarized-theme now which I didn't like at first sight but it's very practical for coding.

Quote:
Emacs blows away vim so bad it's not even a fair comparison. Vim is for noobs.

So have you finally started working with emacs? btw congratulations for the new avatar, first I thought someone has stolen your name :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

kdevelop is pretty nice. The down side of having to put all that KDE crap on your system outweighs the benefits, though. :P

I haven't really mastered emacs yet, although the complex key-bindings are turning out to be much less of an issue than I though. At this point, I'm a lot more effective with Eclipse (but Eclipse is such a BEAST).

Joking aside, vim is hard to beat if you want something minimalist and linuxy (if you can tolerate that mode bullshit, which just drives some people up the wall). Emacs is pretty bloated. Still, I'm giving it a fair chance and avoiding the compulsion to trash it I've had once or twice in the month or two I've been using it. Figure I've got to use if for a year or so before I can really pass judgement on it, there's so much to it. Maybe I'll try one of the slimmed-down derivatives that don't have all the extra nonsense.

Anjuta is nice if you're doing C gtk stuff for gnome. CodeBlocks looked promising when I last tried it. SciTE is a nice graphical editor with a few coding-related extras, if you don't want a fully bloated IDE but are doing coding.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

kdevelop is pretty nice. The down side of having to put all that KDE crap on your system outweighs the benefits, though.

I haven't really mastered emacs yet. At this point, I'm a lot more effective with Eclipse. Honestly, vim is hard to beat if you want something minimalist and linuxy. Emacs is pretty bloated. Still, I'm giving it a fair chance before I ditch it. Figure I've got to use if for a year or so before I can really pass judgement on it, there's so much to it.

as I use kde, doesn't matters :) my experience with Eclipse is that is it a great IDE foe java, but crappy for long works.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
btw congratulations for the new avatar, first I thought someone has stolen your name :lol:

That's Captain Sir Richard F. Burton, an amazing man, genius, true badass, and early humanist before its time.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vote for geany .

I use it purely as a code editor, and don't use any of the project management features, for which I use the command line.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a heavyweight environment, use Netbeans (my preference) or Eclipse,
assuming they support the languages you need. Alternatively, use Geany which
is a very nice lightweight IDE. Alternatively use VI, which is what I use most of
the time; but that's because I'm used to it.

Will
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geany is apparently very similar to SciTE, which is actually from the Scintilla people (the Geany editor is based on Scintilla, I believe). If you use one, you might want to check out the other.
sinisterdomestik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:

Quote:
If you want to perform coding in vim, I suggest enabling both the filetype and syntax features

yes and a good colorscheme.. I work with the solarized-theme now which I didn't like at first sight but it's very practical for coding.

From the looks of it, it seems good 'ol vim is far ahead of the rest :) I suppose at this point, I should start looking into customizing mine so that it's "prettier" ie: color scheme. Something like a project for me to start working on to get back into the coding spirit is what I need lol.

Any of tips/tricks that will make things go more smoothly? Or shall I just "figure it out on my own" :D

/EDIT

Also looking at Geany now.....it looks pretty nice and minimalistic. It's always great finding/getting new things to try out. I'll be trying both out in the near future!
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and install Mercurial - I don't use any of its code-merging features, but as a way
of keeping record of where you've been and what works in a project it's outstanding.
Learn about six commands and you've got a complete project history.

Will
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kdevelop is pretty nice. The down side of having to put all that KDE crap on your system outweighs the benefits, though. :P

thats my problem too!

Quote:
(if you can tolerate that mode bullshit, which just drives some people up the wall

Well thats exactly what I like! IMO a good analogy:
Quote:
For those unused to Vim, Normal mode can seem like an odd default. But experienced Vim users have difficulty imagining it any other way:
How much time do you reckon artists spend with their paint brushes in contact with the canvas? No doubt it would vary from artist to artist, but I'd be surprised if it counted for as much as half of the time painters spend at work.
Think of all of the things that painters do besides paint. They study their subject, adjust the lighting, and mix paints into new hues. And when it comes to applying paint to the canvas, who says they have to use brushes? A painter might switch to a palette knife to achieve a different texture or use a cotton swab to touch up the paint that's already been applied.
The painter does not rest with a brush on the canvas. And so it is with Vim.

Quote:
Emacs is pretty bloated.

yes but not as bloated as other IDE's and maybe there are some good functionality that vim lacks..!?

Quote:
Any of tips/tricks that will make things go more smoothly? Or shall I just "figure it out on my own"

I recommend to battle your way through a book (like I said practical vim, but certainly there are other good books) at least if you have the time for it. But anyway this way you will be slower at the beginning but definitely faster in the end (I've used vim a long time without the features that makes this editor good at all and now I'm working with this book and become faster and faster)

Quote:
Oh, and install Mercurial

Do you use the Vim-plugin?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Hu wrote:
If you want a GUI, I recommend gvim.

I've tried gvim too, but I've decided that I want either a "real" GUI/IDE or a minimalistic terminal environment (and the minimalistic styles won)
Assuming the choice is between vim and gvim, rather than between the Vim family and all other editors, I prefer gvim over vim in most cases. The Athena build of gvim is nicely minimal, and being a GUI means I can use precise colors, and treat it as a full member of the desktop, rather than relying on a terminal emulator to pass through my actions.
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

code:blocks is nice for c++
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: