Yak shaving as a troubleshooting methodology
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Yak shaving as a troubleshooting methodology Reply with quote

So the most recent udev upgrade (197-r4) brings with it a .rules file to block it from ass-raping your network interface names into unintelligible gibberish such as "enp1s7", for now (i.e., apparently said ass-raping is the ultimate plan). I'm like, "no big deal" on your basic PC, but on my router/firewall, I've got so much shit on there that has interface names in various places (firewall rules, blacklisting scripts, dhcp configs, resolver configs, samba configs, etc., etc.), that I start thinking about how this kind of sucks.

In the process of looking into this and exploring the significance of the change (the upshot of which is that it does make sense and you can still do what you were doing before if you want to), I discover that the headless box I've been using as a firewall/router for years is using udhcp to get its addresses from the isp's dhcp server, and it's not using dhclient, which is what I've got installed. (See I cleverly avoided having a "modules" entry in my /etc/conf.d/net file, by only having one dhcp client installed.)

Wait. Wtf? How can it be using udhcp when I don't even have it installed? :?

I look at my configuration for dhclient, and recall that I have two "append nameserver" entries there to manually add freedns and google dns servers to the pair that comes from my ISP's dhcp server. I can quickly confirm whether if dhclient being used by looking for these in my resolv.conf file. Shit. Not there. Nor are they in the extra resolv.conf file created by OpenResolv for dnsmasq (so that the local dns server I operate for my network and to cache upstream responses will be dynamically updated according to what my ISP says I should be using).

Hey, wait a minute. Could this be related to why I've been getting dns related errors lately when trying to connect to gentoo.org addresses (and only gentoo.org addresses). Well, first I'll fix this.

Reboot and watch the startup of the normally headless box. Uh... apparently, I do have it installed, because there it is, saying, "Starting udhcp....". Oh, that's right; it's part of busybox, and I have busybox installed. But why wasn't this happening before then, because I've always had busybox installed? Oh, I know, somebody must have changed the default configuration for busybox (which I've never modified and just keeps getting replaced in /etc/portage/savedconfig every time it updates) such that my busybox instance now includes udhcp. How nice. Or maybe they chanced the order of preference of alternative dhcp clients within OpenRC.

Anyway, I'll just add that "modules_eth0=dhclient" entry to the conf.d/net file... yup, that fixed it. Now I've got all four dns servers as upstream for my own.

So, now, what about the "unable to obtain address for foo.gentoo.org" problem? I do an 'nslookup google.com <isp nameserver's ip address>', and ..blink, right answers.
So I do 'nslookup gentoo.org <isp nameserver's ip address>, and ....... jack squat
nslookup gentoo.org 4.2.2.1 ...blink, right answer (that's freedns)
nslookup gentoo.org 8.8.8.8 .....blink, right answer (thats google dns).

So apparently, my ISP's dns servers sometimes do not have a record for gentoo.org, for some reason. This was an intermittent problem only, since my local dns server is a caching nameserver. So when it was able to get an address, it kept it for a while. However, since I only noticed myself having connection problems over the last couple of days, then one of two things is true:

a) the busybox config (stable x86) changed in the last few days, causing my router to use a default udhcpc dhcp setup, which caused my two "append nameserver" entries in dhclient.conf to be ignored, introducing this hiccup; or

b) whatever is causing gentoo.org's entry to not always be present in my ISP's nameservers started to happen just recently, and I've unknowingly been booting my (headless) router using an unconfigured udhcp client for a long time. :lol:

Anway, set out to solve one problem, end up fixing a different one. :lol:

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:04 am; edited 2 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Not a freakin' thing about yaks.

BTW, congratulations on the (Blue Belt). :P

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried yaks before, but pussy shaving works for me.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
Never tried yaks before, but pussy shaving works for me.

I had a hunch you'd be shaved.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaved pussy.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

For those not familiar with the term, Yak Shaving is when you are trying to get something done, but get lost in the subroutines and off on a tangent.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
pjp wrote:

For those not familiar with the term, Yak Shaving is when you are trying to get something done, but get lost in the subroutines and off on a tangent.

Wish I knew of that term 10 years ago, I'd be using it daily :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: