[SOLVED] genkernel looks for bad source tarballs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] genkernel looks for bad source tarballs Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm not sure since when, but it would seem some genkernel settings changed. First of all, genkernel now stores source tarballs in /var/cache/genkernel instead of /var/cache/genkernel/src. I found the section describing this in genkernel.conf, so I managed to correct this: DISTDIR="${CACHE_DIR}" instead of DISTDIR="${CACHE_DIR}/src".

The problem is, that genkernel still cannot find the tarballs because of some naming issues: genkernel tries to look for busybox-1.20.2.tar.bz2 whereas busybox-1.20.2-x86_64.tar.bz2 is present in the specified directory. What the hell? If it is a source tarball, than x86_64 does not have a meaning, thus it is absolutely unnecessary to have there.

So the question is: how can I reset this not too wise naming scheme to make genkernel work again? OR How can I tell genkernel to look for tarballs with names ending with -x86_64?

This is the actual error message:
Code:
Could not find source tarball /var/cache/genkernel/busybox-1.20.2.tar.bz2. Please refetch

I tried to remerge genkernel, but no positive results.
I always run etc-update when it is asked.
I'm using the stable branch (not that stable I guess (or I missed something)?)
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by pusrob on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Since I got no replies, I will post the solution.
First of all, changing DISTDIR="${CACHE_DIR}/src" to DISTDIR="${CACHE_DIR}/" in genkernel.conf was a mistake. The cache dir actually stores compiled versions of the packages such as busybox, thus the naming scheme I was complaining about before is actually OK (the addition of -x86_64).

The interesting thing is, that the source tarballs are still not stored in the ${CACHE_DIR}/src which in reality is /var/cache/genkernel/src. Instead, the new place for the tarballs is /usr/share/genkernel/distfiles which is odd, as I don't seem to remember an eselect-type news message notifying me about the changes during normal system update. Is this an omission? Perhaps.

The solution (or workaround) from this point is quite obvious:
1. create a symlink in /var/cache/genkernel named src pointing to /usr/share/genkernel/distfiles
OR
2. modify the genkernel.conf file accordingly.

I chose solution #1, as it is the least painful.

Hope this helps others who might encounter similar problems...
freedomeagle1967
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7880668.html#7880668
bensimons
Code:
 # emerge -C genkernel
 # emerge genkernel
 # etc-update

This worked for me. :roll: there must have been a change in the genkernel.conf file. Pretty drastic way to update a config file.:roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: