Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[mcgruff] I have a Drone!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: [mcgruff] I have a Drone! Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/21/king-obama-drones-militarism-sanctions-iran?CMP=twt_gu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard about the new subterranean remote control weapon being developed? It's called the Boring Drone and has a republican speech as a payload.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask not what your Drone can do for you, ask what you can do for your Drone.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "I" in Drone!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
There is no "I" in Drone!

No, that would make it "drine" which is how we say it here, mate, cobber, shrimp, BBQ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Have you heard about the new subterranean remote control weapon being developed? It's called the Boring Drone and has a republican speech as a payload.

Is there a tea partier variant? I'm sure that'd be doubly effective.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
Have you heard about the new subterranean remote control weapon being developed? It's called the Boring Drone and has a republican speech as a payload.

Is there a tea partier variant? I'm sure that'd be doubly effective.

That's the Tea Party Horse, which when opened contains, not a tea party as advertised but cd copies of An Islamic Call to Prayer by various country and western superstars. That should demoralise 'em.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Prenj wrote:
There is no "I" in Drone!

No, that would make it "drine" which is how we say it here, mate, cobber, shrimp, BBQ.


iDrone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was too polite to mention it :D

PS: I don't know WTF he think's he's doing with all the drone attacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Have you heard about the new subterranean remote control weapon being developed? It's called the Boring Drone and has a republican speech as a payload.

Clever. Did you come up with that yourself. :lol:
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
Have you heard about the new subterranean remote control weapon being developed? It's called the Boring Drone and has a republican speech as a payload.

Clever. Did you come up with that yourself. :lol:

Yes, but it's an old joke really. Making boring speeches is pretty much bipartisan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 352
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.


That's true if you subscribe to the notion that elected politician jobs are there to win popularity contests. If you imagine that politicians jobs is, well, policies, then it is what they do that matters, not what they say, or how they say it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 352
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.

That's true if you subscribe to the notion that elected politician jobs are there to win popularity contests. If you imagine that politicians jobs is, well, policies, then it is what they do that matters, not what they say, or how they say it.

But I do subscribe to that notion.
It astonishes me how many people think that politicians have to be competent in certain technical areas to become head of a ministry. They don't. Politicians are people persons. All of them.
They set the general direction like "we should do something about X", listen to competent officials (which they hopefully gathered around them) and then explain the benefits of a fiscal union or net neutrality to joe and his family.
And the last point is the important one, because it is the measurement of how well they did their job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.

That's true if you subscribe to the notion that elected politician jobs are there to win popularity contests. If you imagine that politicians jobs is, well, policies, then it is what they do that matters, not what they say, or how they say it.

But I do subscribe to that notion.
It astonishes me how many people think that politicians have to be competent in certain technical areas to become head of a ministry. They don't. Politicians are people persons. All of them.
They set the general direction like "we should do something about X", listen to competent officials (which they hopefully gathered around them) and then explain the benefits of a fiscal union or net neutrality to joe and his family.
And the last point is the important one, because it is the measurement of how well they did their job.


Yes, of course, but then you have the problem that democracy is bullshit.

If you are voting for a politician that isn't a policy maker but just a front, what are you actually voting for? Your voting has no effect whatsoever.

I'm glad we have come together to the same conclusion, albeit by different paths. :lol:

Or as powerful Joe Rogan would put it, voters are cheerleaders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 352
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Yes, of course, but then you have the problem that democracy is bullshit.

It is!

Then again Churchill has a famous quote about that.

Prenj wrote:
If you are voting for a politician that isn't a policy maker but just a front, what are you actually voting for? Your voting has no effect whatsoever.

You are voting for the party that chose the politician that chose the officials that choose the policies.
It is a concession to the fact that, while it is a good idea to ask everybody on matters that concern everybody, most people are actually clueless. Of course even if all they ever did was read a book about that topic (if at all) many people will want to voice their opinion anyway.
In summary, a parliamentary democracy keeps the power away from those that want it and lets people decide about the general direction of the decisions made without considering ideas that are just too mindboggingly stupid.

Prenj wrote:
I'm glad we have come together to the same conclusion, albeit by different paths. :lol:

Now you got me curious, how did you come to that conclusion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
In summary, a parliamentary democracy keeps the power away from those that want it and lets people decide about the general direction of the decisions made without considering ideas that are just too mindboggingly stupid.


So how exactly does it keep power from those who want it, when those in power clearly want it? Were they forced to be politicians? And how does it let people decide about general direction, really? Like people all of a sudden went suicidal and decided that politicians should bail out banksters with their tax money, because banksters gambled away their retirement funds?

I think you just bought into the con.

Dr.Willy wrote:
Prenj wrote:
I'm glad we have come together to the same conclusion, albeit by different paths. :lol:

Now you got me curious, how did you come to that conclusion?


I didn't, was just pulling your leg. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 352
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
So how exactly does it keep power from those who want it, when those in power clearly want it? Were they forced to be politicians?

They are still put to power, they can't seize it.

Prenj wrote:
And how does it let people decide about general direction, really? Like people all of a sudden went suicidal and decided that politicians should bail out banksters with their tax money, because banksters gambled away their retirement funds?

No they went suicidential when they elected the politicians that would eventually make that decision.
I mean, I'm pretty sure there were politicians who were opposed to that. Why were they in the minority?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
Prenj wrote:
So how exactly does it keep power from those who want it, when those in power clearly want it? Were they forced to be politicians?

They are still put to power, they can't seize it.


Ever considered that they are not in power once they are in power individually, but that they are in power as they are indefinitely members of political class? Wouldn't you agree that when someone exits high-school, and enter worlds of politics without prior life experience, and live priviledged life for the rest of their life, that we're talking about power that ordinary citizenry doesn't have?


Dr.Willy wrote:

Prenj wrote:
And how does it let people decide about general direction, really? Like people all of a sudden went suicidal and decided that politicians should bail out banksters with their tax money, because banksters gambled away their retirement funds?

No they went suicidential when they elected the politicians that would eventually make that decision.
I mean, I'm pretty sure there were politicians who were opposed to that. Why were they in the minority?


Aaah yes, but think about this. Could citizens prevent that and how?

Or as Terence McKenna puts it, "to pierce beyond the veil of cultural illusion".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.

I heard Governor Cuomo (New York State) last night say (and I shit you not), "I promise you we are going to rebuild New York back to what it's never been." :lol:
_________________
Naib wrote:
you need a dick sometimes to deal with the assholes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 352
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Ever considered that they are not in power once they are in power individually, but that they are in power as they are indefinitely members of political class? Wouldn't you agree that when someone exits high-school, and enter worlds of politics without prior life experience, and live priviledged life for the rest of their life, that we're talking about power that ordinary citizenry doesn't have?

No, I'm not into conspiracy theories.

Prenj wrote:
Aaah yes, but think about this. Could citizens prevent that and how?

Or as Terence McKenna puts it, "to pierce beyond the veil of cultural illusion".

Elect someone with a more sceptical view towards banks.

BoneKracker wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.

I heard Governor Cuomo (New York State) last night say (and I shit you not), "I promise you we are going to rebuild New York back to what it's never been." :lol:

Well that is … I mean … oh well, he better keeps that promise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
Elect someone with a more sceptical view towards banks.


Yes, but democracy is a mob rule, and IQ distribution curve tells us that majority of people will swallow propaganda with hair and everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
In a world where not what you say, but how you say it, is enough to cause a scandal, the art of talking without saying anything is mandatory for any politician.

I heard Governor Cuomo (New York State) last night say (and I shit you not), "I promise you we are going to rebuild New York back to what it's never been." :lol:
What he meant is the progressive, liberal, freedom loving city Nieuw-Amsterdam of the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden. Wet dreams. It became the centre of a barbaric police state.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 352
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
Elect someone with a more sceptical view towards banks.

Yes, but democracy is a mob rule, and IQ distribution curve tells us that majority of people will swallow propaganda with hair and everything.
Prenj wrote:
And how does it let people decide about general direction, really? Like people all of a sudden went suicidal and decided that politicians should bail out banksters with their tax money, because banksters gambled away their retirement funds?

Just that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Dr.Willy wrote:
Elect someone with a more sceptical view towards banks.

Yes, but democracy is a mob rule, and IQ distribution curve tells us that majority of people will swallow propaganda with hair and everything.
Prenj wrote:
And how does it let people decide about general direction, really? Like people all of a sudden went suicidal and decided that politicians should bail out banksters with their tax money, because banksters gambled away their retirement funds?

Just that.


Well here is the kicker. If the mob had unbiased information, they may made more correct choice. Not for certain, because truly multiple choice may in fact confuse them.

So who is not presenting unbiased information. Isn't that what journalism is all about? What power changed the paradigm of journalism into cheerleading? So they do have power, and they seek it.

The fact that its too much to handle psychologically that one is getting fucked up the read end, so one pretends that it lives in some la-la land is well known phenomena in psychology.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum