Can't mount or play audio CDs, nor find MTP or iPod devices
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixculpa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Can't mount or play audio CDs, nor find MTP or iPod devices Reply with quote

I'm using Thunar as my file manager, I have udisks installed, gvfs with cdda, ios, mtp, udev and udisks flags all enabled and I'm positive I followed the wiki exactly in regard to kernel options yet when I put any CD's into my cdrom drive nothing happens. There are no pop ups, nothing can be found in /dev/ anywhere indicating there is a CD in the computer, dmesg shows nothing and I even added myself to the cdrom groups and did a re-login. I'm already in the plugdev group. Still nothing. I'm missing something, I just don't know what.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. does it work correctly for data CDs / flash disks ?
2. what does 'udisksctl monitor' print as you insert the CD ?
felixculpa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how to show the output for "udisksctl monitor" but it seems to notice that I put a CD in (both audio and data), but nothing shows up in thunar. Flash drives work fine. ABCDE (A better cd encoder) is able to rip the audio cd automagically now for some reason, perhaps because I did a full system update just this morning.

I am using "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1" in my .xinitrc, which used to result in a pop up asking for the root password in order to mount a data cd I have in the drive, but it doesn't ask anymore. Not sure what the problem is...
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I might be having a similar problem, though I don't have a flash drive at hand to test if it works there.

However, I've got a quite bizarre mix of packages from stable and unstable (and a few versions not yet in portage) and I also don't use automount feature all that often, so I can't tell when things have fallen apart.

The chain is (more or less):
- udev gets informed about the insert and sends a notification about it
- udisks receives the notification and evaluates a proper action; if that's a mount, a proper notification is sent
- file manager receives the notification and tries to mount (for gtk+ apps that's usually via gvfs mount monitor)

I still have consolekit properly set up, so I usually don't get polkit dialogs, just straight to "pick action" dialog, but lately something stopped working in the chain.
New drives appear in file manager's sidebar but aren't getting mounted (upon clicking, the message is "another operation pending").
It seems to be an race condition within udisks daemon (as process list shows relatively high activity there), but I can't quite tell what exactly clashes, nor which upgrade was responsible (though glib/gvfs seem strong candidates if my problem is related to yours as I don't use thunar).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: