View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: John Carmack claims porting games to Linux is not viable Reply with quote

John Carmack claims porting games to Linux is not commercially viable

Seems quite sad to me that he has taken this stance, he used to be such a beacon in this area. But also it doesn't seem like he is reading the writing on the wall about Win8 and so many developers moving to Linux instead of porting to Linux.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry had to remove "commercially" from the thread title due to character limitation -- so it's somewhat misleading. If someone suggests a better one I might fix it.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

factually true, analysis is good, and conclusion is sound.

here in reality (not GNU-land), many game publishers don't even start on mac ports until their windows version reaches a modicum of success because apple's market share isn't even 15%. all serious publishers have officially ended [or announced an end to] mac PPC support. coding for macintel is rarely just another compile.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The only way I see that Linux is ever going to have success wrt to games is because some sort of indie console uses linux as a base, which becomes all the rage for no apparent reason and then people realize that they can play those games on linux too.
Right now full price titles just don't have a place on linux. Then again what do I know about full price titles. The last one I bought was wc3 10 years ago.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the impact of these are, but they might be relevant:

Android is linux-based (although so far, most Android games are like going back in time to 1988 or so; who cares if Angry Birds is ported to GNU/Linux). As more games come out for larger Android tablets, wouldn't it be pretty easy to port these to Linux?

Steam was supposedly being ported to Linux.

I recently read some survey report that said Mac OS X recently overtook GNU/Linux are the most popular development platform among developers (as a platform to work on, ie. to do their programming on).
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Android is linux-based (although so far, most Android games are like going back in time to 1988 or so; who cares if Angry Birds is ported to GNU/Linux). As more games come out for larger Android tablets, wouldn't it be pretty easy to port these to Linux?

I recently read some survey report that said Mac OS X recently overtook GNU/Linux are the most popular development platform among developers (as a platform to work on, ie. to do their programming on).

A linux port for Steam has already been released. There are over 80 linux titles available on steam so far including half-life and counterstrike.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Sorry had to remove "commercially" from the thread title due to character limitation -- so it's somewhat misleading. If someone suggests a better one I might fix it.
Probably not worth it, but something like "Carmack: Linux game ports not commercially viable". Really just amounts to eliminating the unnecessary.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Carmack in a sense. Making games just for Linux and leaving Windows out is not commercially viable. Making games that can run on both platforms from the beginning however, is. BTW, CS:S for Linux sells for 4,50€ at steam today.

Edit:
I just read that again. It's about porting. Well, might be a different kettle of fish. Might be true that porting to linux isn't viable, neither. Doesn't change anything about making sure it works on all platforms when developing a new game
Now it's time for the harvest

Last edited by Clad in Sky on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

A linux port for Steam has already been released. There are over 80 linux titles available on steam so far including half-life and counterstrike.

Wow counterstrike, so retro :D
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get Quake on Linux.
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
The only way I see that Linux is ever going to have success wrt to games is because some sort of indie console uses linux as a base, which becomes all the rage for no apparent reason and then people realize that they can play those games on linux too.

You mean something like this?
I personally hope it succeeds, but developers will have to tread a fine line. It doesn't have the graphics horsepower of an Xbox or a PS3, so they'll just have to focus on gameplay. Kinda like the Wii has managed to do.

I'm really hoping Win8 falls on its face harder than Vista did. My desktop is not a phone, and I vehemently oppose anyone who wishes to make it act like one. That's the opening Linux should be exploiting, but which is instead probably going to just help OSX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: