UEFI, Linux, Microsoft...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: UEFI, Linux, Microsoft... Reply with quote

Well that was a very smart move from microsoft, I wonder why this hasn't happened earlier..
http://www.zdnet.com/linux-foundation-uefi-secure-boot-key-for-windows-8-pcs-delays-explained-7000007841/

Do you think we are in danger? Is it that difficult to work around this problem? Beside the real reason for microsoft to do this, would their computer be safer?
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Beside the real reason for microsoft to do this, would their computer be safer?

No.

Are you aware of the concept of money?
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
:?:
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:
:?:

Quick answer to your question is yes. Not allowing another OS to share the PC is safer from their view point.

However, I'm sure that was not their focus. Regaining market share was, most likely, their focus in regards to that decision.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you think we are in danger? Is it that difficult to work around this problem? :!: Beside the real reason :!: for microsoft to do this, would their computer be safer?

sorry, I thought I made it clear that I think I know the real reason... :) the question was, if in addition to their market strategy, this would make windows-computers safer against "chinese-command-and-conquer-generals-hackers that load deadly malware from BIOS (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133773-rakshasa-the-hardware-backdoor-that-china-could-embed-in-every-computer
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've come full circle.

From now on, I'll just say :

Yes if I agree with you.

And

No if I disagree with you.

It should save a lot of heartache.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no..!! I would like it if you would go into more detail in both cases...!! heartache can help to go further :)
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to disable SecureBoot on a laptop that came with windows8... so i could downgrade it to windows 7.

imo, MS's intent to force windows8 adoption going forward, leading to a dependency on their future OS deliverables across the PC market.

and they market it under the "but your computer boots faster with SecureBoot" to placate those that might half-hearted be critical of the move... which is actually true, it does boot up significantly faster, b/c of checksums on the hibernated image or something like that, so you never really do a traditional shutdown anymore.

as someone who almost never reboots any computers i interact with on a regular basis, i could care less.

that being said, the BIOS is still readily available and SecureBoot is easy to disable. for now :(
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and I've read that fedora came to an agreement with MS that they will receive a key for 99$ to be able to boot linux.

wtf, seriously... :twisted:
It would be a nightmare if there would be only MS, Apple and MS-dependent Linux. If this apocalypse become reality I thought of switching to apple because maybe their hardware is better compatible with any UNIX-like system, or are they even worse than MS?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: UEFI, Linux, Microsoft... Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:

Do you think we are in danger? Is it that difficult to work around this problem? Beside the real reason for microsoft to do this, would their computer be safer?

I remember watching some time ago on google videos a presentation held by the guy that is developing uefi support for the linux kernel, well after all that securely signing and verifying at the end of the uefi boot all what remain is a variable in memory aka "UEFI Boot Succesful=1", and probably it is easy for a virus or malicious program to fake it ... instead doing it legally is very difficult.

Its purpose? Prevent users form legally replacing the OS, that's all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: