See BS ~vs~ CNET & the truth
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: See BS ~vs~ CNET & the truth Reply with quote

CNET reporter quits over CBS interference

Quote:
Technology reviews by website CNET have long been respected for their thoroughness and integrity, but that reputation has come under scrutiny after a top reporter quit over what he says is editorial interference by its parent company, CBS Corp.

The dispute centers on CNET's choice of best gadgets from last week's International CES show in Las Vegas.

CNET voted Dish Network Corp.'s "Hopper with Sling" the best home theater and audio product. Because CBS is in a legal fight with Dish over the Hopper's ad-skipping capabilities, CBS vetoed the selection, saying the product couldn't be considered "Best of CES." Instead, CNET's official selection was a sound bar from TV maker Vizio.

Reporter Greg Sandoval tweeted on Monday morning that he was resigning, saying he had lost confidence that CBS is committed to editorial independence.

"I just want to be known as an honest reporter," he tweeted, adding "CNET wasn't honest about what occurred regarding Dish."

In an apparent response to the resignation, CNET Reviews Editor-in-Chief Lindsey Turrentine posted a story on the site a few hours after Sandoval's tweet saying that around 40 CNET editorial members voted, and Dish's Hopper won the designation because of "innovative features that push shows recorded on DVR to iPads."

She said "the conflict of interest was real" and said she contemplated quitting as well, but stayed on to explain the situation to staff and prevent a recurrence. She said CNET staff was asked to re-vote after the Hopper was excluded, and regretted not revealing at first that it had won.

"I wish I could have overridden the decision not to reveal that Dish had won the vote," she wrote. "For that I apologize to my staff and to CNET readers."

A spokesman for CBS, which also owns such marquee journalism properties as CBS News and 60 Minutes, declined to comment on how a similar situation might be handled if it occurred at its other news properties.

"In terms of covering actual news, CNET maintains 100 percent editorial independence, and always will," CBS said in a prepared statement.

CBS bought CNET for $1.8 billion in June 2008. In December, the site had 33.4 million visitors, up 8 percent from a year earlier.

So according to CBS, covering the CES is not actual news so there will be no editorial independence.

Pure sleaze is typical for See BS.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good argument for breaking up (and then preventing) large media conglomerates.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only made funnier by the fact that CNET owns gamespot, which has fired game reviewers because they refused to "fix" shitty reviews of games whose publishers were active advertisers.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, seems like a perfect fit.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: