Idiot : 'We don't have a spending problem'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Idiot : 'We don't have a spending problem' Reply with quote

Barack Obama: 'We don't have a spending problem'

Quote:
The media portrayal of the fiscal cliff standoff (and the debt-ceiling talks from which it sprang) generally portrayed President Barack Obama and the Democrats as pragmatists attempting to negotiate with intransigent Republican ideologues. But as ever, the stance of non-ideological problem-solving itself is rich with ideological content. For the latest example read Stephen Moore's Wall Street Journal interview with Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio).
Quote:
What stunned House Speaker John Boehner more than anything else during his prolonged closed-door budget negotiations with Barack Obama was this revelation: "At one point several weeks ago," Mr. Boehner says, "the president said to me, 'We don't have a spending problem.' " [...]

The president's insistence that Washington doesn't have a spending problem, Mr. Boehner says, is predicated on the belief that massive federal deficits stem from what Mr. Obama called "a health-care problem." Mr. Boehner says that after he recovered from his astonishment—"They blame all of the fiscal woes on our health-care system"—he replied: "Clearly we have a health-care problem, which is about to get worse with ObamaCare. But, Mr. President, we have a very serious spending problem." He repeated this message so often, he says, that toward the end of the negotiations, the president became irritated and said: "I'm getting tired of hearing you say that."

If this quote is accurate, it is both stunning and unsurprising. Stunning, because of this chart:

Click for truth

Note how federal spending, adjusted for inflation, zoomed between 2001 and 2010 on such non-health-related categories as military (70.5%), "other" (64.1%), and non-defense discretionary (55.9%). Overall federal spending has exploded, from $1.77 trillion in fiscal year 2000 to $3.72 trillion in fiscal 2010. If Washington had pegged federal government growth since 2000 to the rates of inflation and population growth, we would be spending well under $3 trillion today, and talking about what to do with the surplus.

At the same time, Obama's alleged quote is unsurprising, because a vast swath of Democrats well and truly believe that spending is not a problem.

More in TFA
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the news media are just part of the Democrat Ministry of Truth apparatus. Oh, and facts are not welcome. I doubt anybody will even click on the links you have provided.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't click on them because I don't want to read quotes from people who will lower my I.Q.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I didn't click on them because I don't want to read quotes from people who will lower my I.Q.

i clicked on this thread :(
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

i clicked on this thread :(

++
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on this thread to see who clicked on this thread.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no spoon. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. No the gaslights are not dimmer.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
There is no spoon. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. No the gaslights are not dimmer.

++
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they'll never publicly admit being wrong or lying, they have to know there is a spending problem.

Waters & Johnson are anomalies, aren't they? I mean, no more than a handful of people that stupid? Pelosi doesn't seem that stupid. Willfully ignorant perhaps.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:

the man behind the curtain is from oz, and that's on target. the rest of this quote sounds fail-ish to me though.

the gaslights meme is from some old movie where the guy is trying to convince a woman she's going insane by saying the gaslights are getting dimmer.

the spoon quote is so far from this concept that it's actually the exact opposite. the spoon quote is from the matrix, explaining that what you see and feel is not reality, it's only in your mind, and is therefore directly subject to your own force of will.

sooo....
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Even if they'll never publicly admit being wrong or lying, they have to know there is a spending problem.

Waters & Johnson are anomalies, aren't they? I mean, no more than a handful of people that stupid? Pelosi doesn't seem that stupid. Willfully ignorant perhaps.

The problem with Democrats isn't so much stupidity (in most cases) as that they're extremely unscrupulous. Their ethical system amounts to "the ends justify the means", and the morals are based on a hypocritical amalgam of "looking out for number one" embodied in a populist matrix of "the needs of the many" and whatever the rest of the lemmings are yammering the most about at the moment.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not disputing that, but if it were true, wouldn't "looking out for #1" include not building a house of cards?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
the rest of this quote sounds fail-ish to me though.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Seems to me you successfully linked and explained the references. If your opinion is that those references are "fail-ish" that is your decision to make.

The gaslight reference seems pretty spot on when someone is trying to convince you of something contrary to reality.

The Matrix one is a bit "forced" if you will, and I thought about that when first posting it -- and actually expected a challenge on that one. But if you do think about it at all the general premise of that quote is to question your own experience, your own perception, and try to be fully aware.

You, of course, can continue to have an opinion that those references have no bearing on the OP.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, some stink, and others are downright shitty.

BoneKrackerism.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: