systemd localization, wireless module [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zongo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: systemd localization, wireless module [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to perform a systemd installation, which is not working because of some grub-efi configuration problems that I cannot yet solve... but to topic: reading https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Localization/HOWTO and comparing them to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=8 section "c" I cannot understand when I am supposed to enter the localization and keyboard layout. Is it only after reboot?

On a second, unrelated note, how do I get iwlwifi to load at boot and make use of the firmware? Do I have to emerge the module and the firmware is obtained automatically? To me it is quite not clear how it is supposed to work.

Please excuse me if my questions are easy, I am trying to switch from Wxxxxxx to Gentoo, and the learning curve is steep.

Last edited by zongo on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you are switching! No need for excuses, everybody has to start somewhere. And yes, going all in with Gentoo coming from "Wxxxx" is a steep learning courve indeed! But if that works out, a very good choice, as you will definatly get to know your way around a linux system if you've successfully mastered gentoo :)

Locales:

You can edit the files with the localization info before or after you boot your Gentoo the first time. It does not really matter. You can also change them whenever you need to later. It is probably a good idea though to do it before your first boot. This will prevent any trouble entering your set root password, if it for example contains characters that are somewhere else on your keyboard layout for example.

Note: Systemd does as far as I know not read the /etc/conf.d/keymaps and /etc/rc.conf files to apply the locale settings (as describes in the install handbook). This is the openrc way, for systemd you want either to use the tools mentioned in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Locale.

"Post Installation" refers to "after you have installed the systemd package" here, that is, you cannot start those systemd daemons if they are not yet installed. You could just do as the wiki says after systemd is merged (and before you reboot) and start the systemd-* daemons manually to be able to use localectl, or just reboot and then call all the "localectl" things, if you don't mind booting one time with wrong locales. I would suggest doing it before you reboot step by step as the wiki page says, this way, your system all set up correctly before you boot.

As for the iwlwifi firmware: You need to merge the "linux-firmware" package which should contain the the firmware blobs needed to run your wifi card:

Code:
emerge -a linux-firmware

All available firmware files will then be installed in /lib/firmware, where the kernel/udev will automatically find and load them when loading the iwlwifi module.

The iwlwifi module itself is part of the kernel. When you compile your own kernel you have to make sure that you include it. Some more info on that can be found in the gentoo wiki here

for the grub-efi problem: if you need help, best you open a new forum thread for each problem you encounter. That way it is easy to get the thread's topic when searching through the forums.
zongo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kompi!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: