Gentoo as a virtualisation host [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Gentoo as a virtualisation host [solved] Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm about to get a 2xQuadcore server for virtualisation and I need to select a host OS for it.
I'd happily pick OpenBSD but the one thing it's not good for (I guess) is virtualisation (only supports qemu and the performance is not good).
I've tried to get my hands on some official doc, but got only this:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/vps/overview.xml
As it's been updated on June 19, 2006 for the last time I don't think the info is very useful ;-)

So my main questions have to be:
  1. What methods of virtualisation does Gentoo support (not interested in para-virtualization)?
  2. Anyone with a currently running setup to share performance comments? My imaginary setup would be:
    • An OpenBSD guest facing the internet. Would be NATing all other connections for the box - would need a dedicated ethernet adapter, no special requirements
    • A few Red Hat guests (needed for testing) - no special requirements
    • Maybe a Win7/8 guest - this would definitely need USB support

Any answers or comments would be much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by xtz on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doable
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i absolutely love "aqemu" hypervisor bare metal virtualization. it supports kvm / qemu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU

not as easy to setup as virtualbox, as it requires kernel recompilation. if your ok with following the wiki pages and recompiling your kernel this would be the optimal solution.
Caprisun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo as a virtualisation host Reply with quote

KVM on Gentoo is pretty good. I like it much better than anything else I've tried, including ESXi 5.

The networking is flexible, though I prefer to simply bridge my VM's and treat them like real machines. (You can easily disable networking for certain VM's or put them on a virtual switch)

USB support for Windows is also very good, even webcams work! I haven't tried an iPod yet but everything else has been great.

It's also stable and not *THAT* hard to configure.

I'm running VM's on an Intel Core 2, using an Intel SSD with ext4 and the discard option. It is amazing!
amospalla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use both KVM and Openvz, but AFAIK, you can also use XEN, Vserver and Virtualbox on gentoo. Note that Openvz/Vserver are containers (AKA "chroot on steroids"), and XEN can do both full virtualization, and para-virtualization.
xtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
not as easy to setup as virtualbox, as it requires kernel recompilation. if your ok with following the wiki pages and recompiling your kernel this would be the optimal solution.
Thanks. I am happy with this, I'll be doing it anyway and I don't plan to use virtualbox at all.

Caprisun wrote:
USB support for Windows is also very good, even webcams work! I haven't tried an iPod yet but everything else has been great.
Thanks for this too. USB support is only required for rooting/reflashing Samsung Galaxy S devices.

amospalla wrote:
I currently use both KVM and Openvz, but AFAIK, you can also use XEN, Vserver and Virtualbox on gentoo. Note that Openvz/Vserver are containers (AKA "chroot on steroids"), and XEN can do both full virtualization, and para-virtualization.
Doesn't XEN require modification of the guest so they know they run as such?
amospalla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xen works both in full virtualization (needs hardware assistance) and para-virtualization (needs guest modification).
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amospalla wrote:
Xen works both in full virtualization (needs hardware assistance) and para-virtualization (needs guest modification).

what's better for linux? full virtualization doesn't look optimal for a linux guest. What exactly is the difference?

thanks
xtz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info, I think it's been settled then.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: