PPC Live CD alternatives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: PPC Live CD alternatives Reply with quote

Hello,

watching bug 421839 and bug 437480... what is going on there with the live/install cds? This means currently that no dhcp and sshd are working. I tried the install cd releases since several month.

Since other archs like amd64 and x86 may always use more popular and well-stuffed live distributions such as grml, Knoppix (my choice for amd64) or Ubuntu, at the PPC side we are a bit lost. Sometimes I used to take the Ubuntu which also offered a PPC live cd. But there at least for sshd I need to connect to apt sources and my 3 month old release required new apt sources...this was the point where I stopped it since I only need a minimal disk for maintenance while the Ubuntu takes long to start on my old book. grml may be fine but concentrates on 2 main archs only.
The existence of many alternatives for the popular archs such as amd64 and x86 may be one reason that only few people care about the current state of our install cds. But we should not forget that this also means, the current Install Documentation does not generally work for newcomers.

Is there currently any alternative for PPC live cds?

Regards,
Massimo
blob999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you simply need a maintenance cd (yaboot, hdd tools, ssh, etc..) you can use Finnix or CruxPPC install iso.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, thank you very much. I tried Finnix and like it. Though there are some tools missing like pbbuttonsd which our live cd had (in order to turn off the screen for longer maintenance session). But the tools and the kernel are up to date and thats what I need for maintenance of my installation.

But what I don't understand: If there are not enough resources for Gentoo maintenance, at least for the maintenance of the lots of different arch live cds, why don't we just select a good maintained live-cd such as finnix as our official PPC live cd and even adapt our handbooks to it. Linux has always been about sharing. And this would give even more importance for the authors of such a live distribution, if it would be selected as the official Gentoo install cd, at least when it comes to minor archs beside x86 and amd64. But even there I guess there are better live distributions on DVD compared to our Gentoo live cds. Gentoo is a work in progress, a live and meta distribution. Who cares about live releases which must be maintained. Gentoo can grow up from whatever Linux...
blob999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'cause finnix isn't gentoo based and/or gentoo foundation related project.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: