Now, mobile apps for your safety
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Now, mobile apps for your safety Reply with quote

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-12-23/gadgets-special/35982608_1_android-facebook-updates-mobile-application

Code:
1. FightBack

Availability: FightBack is available for select Android, Blackberry and Nokia smartphones. Users can go to www.fightbackmobile.com, login with their Facebook ID and follow on-screen instructions to download the app for their handset.

FightBack is an India specific application available for all types of mobile phones. FightBack uses GPS, SMS, location maps, GPRS, email and your Facebook account to inform your loved ones in case you are in danger. You can add up to five emergency contacts to the list. When the 'Panic' button is pressed from the mobile application, the portal alerts page gets updated with the live alert data and shows the location of the alert on the Google Map.

This will be visible to all the users of the web portal. The portal also sends out SMS messages to the mobile numbers pre-set by the user. When this hyperlink is clicked, it will show the location of the app user on Google Maps. The web portal also updates the user's Facebook status with the SOS message. This SOS message will be visible to all the friends who are connected to the user via Facebook.

this ay not be new n USA but some can beneft from these ideas
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a dangerous idea. I can imagine a lot of false alarms causing problems. Are loved ones really going to be of more help than the police, and will the police respond to an indirect notification (i.e., "my daughter sent an sos blurb from her sos app")?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my butt sent the abduction alert.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Twattersphere emergency Reply with quote

They are trialling emergency calls sent from twitter in the UK: http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/12/19/london-fire-brigade-mulls-twitter-for-emergency-calls/

Sounds daft, there's enough trouble finding the location of VOIP and cell emergency calls.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: