Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gnome 2.4 Mounted Disk Icons on Desktop (want to toggle)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettlpb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.4 Mounted Disk Icons on Desktop (want to toggle) Reply with quote

Hi, having a small problem.

I mount about 20 samba shares on my boot, in /etc/fstab, and when I go into gnome, I have a mass of 20 icons, one for each mounted "drive" ... I do *not* need these, and I can;t find an option to turn them off... I know what I have mounted, and the last thing I want is a million needless icons on my desktop.

The only way I have been able to remove them is by right-clicking on the desktop, going to Disks, and unclicking them... but that *unmounts* them...

Arg, any ideas?

Thanks
brettlpb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small addition... I wouldn't even mind turning off *all* desktop icons, although I'm not even sure how to do that, searching the forums now to no avail. 8O
brettlpb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an option in gconf-editor to have Nautilus not draw a background... which is kind of a hack as some icons may be nice in the future, ah well... still open to ideas to just get rid of the mount icons I don't want!

Thanks
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping this to the top, I'd like to do a little 'icon trimming' as well.
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Wait, recap. What happens is that GNOME shows a bunch of icons on your desktop for the samba shares, right? Well, I'm almost positive you can do this... Just delete the icons!
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure this is what you are after but make sure you do not have the 'user' or 'users' option in your fstab. This feature allows users to mount the drives and then will show an icon in Gnome. Getting rid of 'user' will get rid of the icon but then you have to mount as root. Users still can use the mounts. I mount mine at boot and then leave them alone.
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Homer,

That's not quite what I'm looking for though. I like being able to mount my shares as user (which means I can write to them). I just don't want the icons.

Actually, I should go to the gnome crew about it. I'd like a toggle option in prefrences something like:

auto-icons on off
nex_tym
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone figure out how to get rid of the icons?

thanks
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I use XFCE4 now.

All the functionality of gnome with none of the clutter. :)
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, there is trouble here.

Reason is, the drive icons aren't 'real' files - they don't exist in a kernel-level filesystem - instead, they exist as ghost files within the Gnome VFS - compare x-nautilus-desktop:/ in Nautilus to your actual desktop directory. Thus, you can't edit, examine, rename or delete them.

Also (regrettably) you can't even move them off the screen, due to sanity checking in the gnome desktop stuff.

However, you can get rid of them by hacking the source code. (This is Gentoo's greatest strength, IMO). Let's run through the rough procedure:
1. Become root:
Code:
su -

2. Unpack the nautilus ebuild:
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/gnome-base/nautilus/nautilus-2.4.1.ebuild unpack

3. Go to /var/tmp/portage/nautilus-2.4.1/work/nautilus-2.4.1/libnautilus-private
4. Hack around to your satisfaction.
e.g.:
  • hack create_volume_link() in nautilus-desktop-link-monitor.c to always return immediately
  • hack nautilus-volume-monitor.c:nautilus_volume_is_in_removable_blacklist () to disable only those drives you want not to show up
etc...

Finally, generate a patch and make yourself a custom ebuild. (And make some noise on the Gnome bugzilla...)

I'm thinking that the best interim solution would be some sort of gconf key containing options to allow the advanced user to disable drive icons on an individual basis. create_volume_link() could then examine that key to decide which volume icons to create. HTH...
DumbAss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomerSimpson wrote:
I am not sure this is what you are after but make sure you do not have the 'user' or 'users' option in your fstab.

This doesn't work for me. It still shows up on the desktop and it's a bit annoying. Even when I mount it with:
Quote:
mount -t smbfs -o username=#####,password=#####,uid=root,gid=root,fmask=700,dmask=700 //basil/portage /usr/portage
it still shows up on the other users desktops.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I forgot how to do this, but it's entirely possible to keep mounted drives from popping up on the Desktop. It's done somewhere in gconf-edit, I just can't remember where!

:x
N0thing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive under gcong-editor > nautilus >preferences/Desktop (forget which), there should be something like show-volumes, disabling them should make them dissapeer. But that also gets rid of mp3 players, hdds, cds, etc. Other than that cant you just delete the icons.
Icicle Thief
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N0thing wrote:
I beleive under gcong-editor > nautilus >preferences/Desktop (forget which), there should be something like show-volumes, disabling them should make them dissapeer. But that also gets rid of mp3 players, hdds, cds, etc. Other than that cant you just delete the icons.

Cheers N0thing, this is something I've been wanting to do for ages. Now I have a nice clean desktop. Ifound it under app/nautilus/desktop/

Carlos.
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know if there are any plans for Gnome to incorporate such a basic feature, or is this something that they consider "usability"?
These type of things keep me with other WM. It's ridiculous that you can't configure this. These icons should just be shortcuts to the mounted volumes and deletable. :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: