Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Using current install to make a "fake" install [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Using current install to make a "fake" install [So Reply with quote

hi,
Until about 5 hours ago, my laptop ran Arch Linux. I was going to change it to Gentoo, but the laptop has spoken: Arch no longer boots.

Now the fun part:
I intend to build a Gentoo install on a spare partition on my desktop. I will get the vital stats from the laptop, ie, wireless driver, etc. Then I want to tar everything up and move it to the laptop.

I assume the "reboot" step in the handbook is now pointless as it will not have a working kernel.

Question: Has anyone done anything like this, and if so is there anything I should/should not do? I know its a bit vague, but the laptop is required for my research so I need to get it back ASAP.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.

Last edited by The Doctor on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work fine. Be sure to build the fake install using -march settings that will produce valid code for the laptop. If you use -march=native, the compiler will select a -march based on the desktop running it, not on the eventual target.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Hu. I actually lucked out. Both boxes have the same processor type, so -mach=native should work, and I should be able to use my desktop to build binaries for my laptop.

The funny thing is, the hardiest bit seems to have been getting the system rescue CD to boot from a usb 8O

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: