View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancelotsix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: aquire root privileges in Gnome 3.4 using sudo Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using gnome (3.4) and am looking for a way to change the way I can get root privileges to perform administrative tasks (unlock control panel, run administrative softwares such as gparted or mount some external drivers).
Currently, a UI asks me for the root password by I'd like it to change the authentication mechanism to sudo so every user in the wheel group can perform those tasks.
I'm sure I am not the first one who is looking for this, but I could not find a solution on the net yet.

Do anyone have any idea ?

Thanks in advance.
L.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean mount drives, not drivers. If your X session is properly configured, you should let the GUI ask you for your root password. If you're mounting manually, just su to root.

Software such as gparted can and should be run as your regular user. It's just a matter of putting your regular user in the correct group and making sure that group has permission to read devices in /dev.

Not sure what you mean by unlock control panel, but if you mean Gnome puts up a password dialog when you bring up the control panel, you should let Gnome do it that way.

I'm also assuming that when Gnome asks you for your password, it actually runs the program using sudo, with your supplied password, anyway.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
lancelotsix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply...

I actually want to mount drives (not drivers.....).

It is true that gnome shows up a password dialog prompting the root password when I performs those tasks (mainly mounting external ntfs drives).
The thing is that I am not the only one using my computer, and I do not want every user to have the root password !!!!!!! (and it is usually a really bad idea to require root password to perform every day tasks)

The question is : how can other users (who do not have the root password) mount ntfs drives from nautilus (among other tasks) using the regular password dialog ? They can use a terminal and explicitly call sudo since it is properly configured, but this is not a solution since a proper UI should bring that !
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sudo gedit /etc/sudoers

(if you dont have your self in sudoers, run "su" enter root password and then gedit /etc/sudoers)

make yours look like mine.....

## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Same thing without a password
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

mine doesnt ask for user passwords.... if you absolutely want them to enter their password then.....

## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Same thing without a password
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

you can view other sections of the sudoers to further restrict their permissions to take away shutdown & passwd (root password resetting features)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: