Problem resizing md partitions containing a jfs file system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madlcd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Problem resizing md partitions containing a jfs file system Reply with quote

I've had a jfs file system on a raid1 device for years (I think I originally created it in the raidtab days).
I've moved it successfully to larger disks in the past, but recently I tried to resize it and somehow fouled it up.
Anyway, in thrashing around with gparted and mdadm I've arrived at the current state.
If I stop the array and mount either mirror partition individually (mount -t jfs /dev/sdb1 /video) every thing looks fine.
But, if I assemble the array and try to mount it I get this.
Code:
Earth mad # mdadm -A /dev/md5 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
mdadm: /dev/md5 has been started with 2 drives.
Earth mad # mount -t jfs /dev/md5 /video/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md5,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
The jfs man pages are not very helpful.

Any ideas?
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you switch superblocks or something so the RAID has an incorrect offset now?

If you don't mind copying files, you can verify that the filesystem is fine when you mount it individually... you could pick one drive to mount, create an entirely new RAID1 with the other drive (RAID1 with 1 drive, or rather 2 drives and 1 missing), create a new filesystem on there, rsync the files over, and once that copy checks out good, add the missing drive to the new RAID.

It takes time to copy the stuff and resync the drive but it's probably safer than breaking something while experimenting with things. Besides if you mounted them individually (and not read-only) the RAID will be out of sync anyway.
madlcd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem occurred when I grew the file systems on the individual devices after enlarging the partitions instead of growing the file system on the md device. Although, it may have been messed up after enlarging the partitions, I don't really remember.
Anyway, creating a new RAID1 device and copying the files over was my backup plan and that worked fine. I was just hoping there was some quicker trick I could use.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: