brasero corrupt DVD recovery howto tips needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotraf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: brasero corrupt DVD recovery howto tips needed Reply with quote

Hi,
A few years ago (2010) I've burned (brasero) few backup DVDs of photos (NEF/JPG). Few month later I found out it is badly burned i.e. all the files seem to be there with the exact right file size etc. (that's why I didn't notice it when burning), but unfortunatelly I get the message the files are corrupt. What is significant and might be of importance, on every corrupt DVD I get the thumbnail of the second file.
Of course I've tried common recovery software with no luck. I also tried recovering the data from the SDCard but unfortunatelly only a few of the files recovered.
Now, I don't expect someone will solve this for me, but I never experienced such data loss and thus I have no idea how to try to solve what whas wrong and how to try to recover this. It would be great if anyone could give me some tips where to go from this point.
Thanks for any help.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piotraf,

I suspect is a badly burned DVD and the data is not there to recover, however try to make an image of the DVD with ddrescue.

Code:
emerge ddrescue
and read its man page. You must run it with a log file, this allows you to see whats happening and for ddrescue to pick up where it left off.
If you still have th DVD drive that burned the DVD, use it first. Try different DVD drives anyway
If you have other *identical* copies of the same DVD, ddrescue can stitch recovered data together.

ddrescue works like dd but tries much harder to read your data.

You will end up with a file on disk that is a block by block copy of the DVD, which you can mount with the -o loop option to mount. You will need loopback support for your kernel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: