Can not boot from usb [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zagloj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Can not boot from usb [Solved] Reply with quote

Hi, I am not new to gentoo, but new in this computer. I mean, I had an old pc with my gentoo installed and maintained over 6 years, now with the new pc I installed Windows 7 first and after, that, and cause I dont have cd/dvd device, I tried to install from usb, with no success.

I downloaded and correctly set up my usb drive (checked in another computer) but in my computer, even with USB-FDD selected in BIOS to be the first boot device, I have no success, but it is not an usb problem, cause I installed that way Windows 7 a day before, the only thing different from when I installed Windows is that the hard disk has 2 partitions, the default Windows 7 method, but I dont think that this could be the problem.

By the way, I am trying with system rescue cd, anyways, it does not matter until I can boot :?

Thanks in advance for your time and sorry if I made grammar mistakes, not my first language ;)

Pd Just if it is of help I have a GA 970A-DS3 motherboard, and my old disk with gentoo is around, but I have a multicore processor now (monocore before but both are 64bits) and new graphic card (but nvidia like the old one) just in case I can make use of it for something.

Last edited by Zagloj on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may still be able to use your old gentoo installation. You'll have to chroot into it and reconfigure the kernel for your new hardware first, and then emerge -e world with appropriate cflags for your new cpu....

If all else fails you could at least use that to boot up so you can install on your new drive.

EDIT: Is this the same problem that you are having? https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-938278.html
Zagloj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, I think that not the same problem, I use System Rescue CD and I can boot perfectly in a laptop, in this computer, the thing is not that there is an error, there is nothing, nothing more than windows booting, and is not funny to wait for install my distro and then see the windows logo.

I will try perhaps with the old this, I will plug it into another sata channel an see if it boots, I thought the chroot is made from the install medium, I will read on it, I only remember it from the time I installed with the minimal CD a lot years ago.

Bye and thanks ;)

I forgot to mention that I dont want to use the old disk anymore, I would like to install it on the new one, fresh install or cloning the old installation somehow.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post says
Quote:
I downloaded and correctly set up my usb drive (checked in another computer) but in my computer, even with USB-FDD selected in BIOS to be the first boot device,
The user's manual for your motherboiard says
Quote:
First/Second/Third Boot Device&&
Specifies the boot order from the available devices. Use the up or down arrow key to select a device and press <Enter> to accept. Options are: LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, Legacy LAN, Disabled.
Quote:
USB-CDROM
sounds like a better choice for
Quote:
First Boot Device
Have you updated BIOS as recommended if using an FX processor?
Zagloj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I used USB-FDD as it worked for the usb which I used to install Windows, I have not CDROM device, not sure about that option in boot option.

About update of the Bios I am using a Phenom x4, but I will check that.

I will edit if USB-CDROM works, but it would be weird since with USB-FDD worked before.

Bye and thanks ;)

EDIT It didn't work, it keeps booting windows, and is set in NON EFI.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So- you are actually using sysresccd on a flash drive? If so it may appear as a hard drive in bios. Suggest cycle through all choices and sub choices (if any) looking for your usb device, whatever it is. Also check that the bootable flag is set on it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zagloj,

It must be USB-HDD then. Most bootable USB sticks look like a partitioned HDD

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Zagloj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Zagloj,

It must be USB-HDD then. Most bootable USB sticks look like a partitioned HDD

Thanks very much, it works!! now in the Sysreccd the Xorg looks terrible but I am writing from here, now I can install from here like it was the minimal cd right? And as I have 2 partitions created I think I can create a third extended and then logical for all the gentoo partitions, as the handbook but logical instead primary.

Thanks again for all the help, by the way, I tried it with the gentoo usb but with not success, it didnt boot windows, only said Boot error, not vey much informative, but it is the same. An oh my god I must fix this screen flickering ;)
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your boot partition needs to be primary. but /, /home, /etc can be logical.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291,

Quote:
your boot partition needs to be primary. but /, /home, /etc can be logical.

More correctly, if your BIOS cannot read the entire HDD, your /boot partition must be physically located where the BISO can read the space it occupies.
When this was common, /boot was normally created first at the front of the drive, so it became a primary partition. However, its not required.
There has been a race between like this between BIOS vendors and HDD vendors since hard drives reached 32 Megabytes.

With 48bit Logical Block Addressing, the next crunch comes when drives reach 2^48 sectors, which is years away yet.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: