CPU Temperature too hot[Laptop]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alkz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: CPU Temperature too hot[Laptop] Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I've got this problem for long time, My CPUs Temperatures are really too hot, CPU is an AMD TurionX2 Ultra 64 bit.

I installed cpufreqd to scaling cpu frequence but even if I work on 575Mhz on both processor temperature are about 80-85C, lm_sensors has no driver for CPU Fan monitoring(so I can only check temperature), I don't think that these temperatures are usual but I really cannot understand why they are so hot.
Of course because of these temperatures my battery life is really short(about 1 hour and half) even if I work with a really minimal system(i3 window manager, no comp manager, always on powersave governor, backlight at minimum and wifi turned off).
Maybe if I managed to resolve cpu temperature problem my battery life would be extended.

I really appreciate some advice to resolve this problem(I've already googled, but I found nothing).

Thanks in advance.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be because the air cooling circuitry is full of dust ?
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already opened my laptop twice, and all was clean.
schrdlu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alkz wrote:
I've already opened my laptop twice, and all was clean.

Just in case you have not remedied the problem,had same hassles with my benq p53,which needed to be completely dismantled.to be able to clean out the exit port for the hot air,also a dismantle of the video& processor boards,clean the surfaces and reapply heatsink compound,you will probably find that the original is a grey colour and semi hard.
Once I had completed this operation,reinstalled all the bits,I have had nearly a year of use without any o/heating,through a summer of 35C+.
PS::: do mark the position of screws on the mainboard before removal,as some of the case screws pass through. On my machine there was black tapecovering the outlet,
also the fan assembly needed care to remove as its retained with 3 screws that are hard to see.
Have fun,,,,, I only wish my battery would last more than 45mins away from a power outlet :lol:
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: CPU Temperature too hot[Laptop] Reply with quote

is it any better with any other OS running on this laptop? also, do you feel the hot air exiting the laptop when high temperatures are reported?

i'd check if air intake vents are not covered, and also make sure that hot air exiting the laptop does not come back through them (this happens with my ps3 console sometimes and it quickly gets very hot, as i keep it on a shelf with limited air flow).

make sure there is no process hogging the cpu, perhaps you need to also inspect latencytop output.

if you are worried about temperatures, you may try enabling auto shutdown in bios so that you avoid damage to the cpu. assuming the readings from sensors are correct (there is possibility that they are sometimes offset by certain amount).
transcend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your cpufreq is set to on demand or conservative and monitor their usage from an idle environment. if they're "stuck" on performance, check your kernel config to make sure you have the proper cpu scaling options set for your cpu.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: