Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What's the oldest computer you've got Gentoo on?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: What's the oldest computer you've got Gentoo on? Reply with quote

I've been given a computer as part of an estate liquidation. It's a Gateway with a Pentium III, 128M of ram, an ATI Rage 128 GPU, no Ethernet (phoneline only) and a whole bunch of wide ribbon connectors I've only ever heard described on wikipedia before. I think they're PATA cables, but I can't be sure. It was manufactured in '99, and I just turned it on a few minutes ago. It has Windows 98 installed currently, and I'm thinking of turning it Gentoo.
I'm confident somebody out there has installed Gentoo on an abacus, I just want to hear from you guys (mostly to talk myself into the project). So, let's hear it: What's your oldest, currently-running machine?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ASUS A1000 from about 2001, the specs are here: Specs.
It's got LXDE as the window manager and I use it when I want to sit in the garden and do stuff. The battery is dead, but I use a power point otherwise reserved for a pond pump and an old USB wi-fi adapter for ethernet which actually works.

It's probably massively out of date since I did the initial emerge about 2007, and haven't updated the thing for years. I do remember that it took the best part of a day to build since I made the mistake of emerging Firefox and various other monster timewasters.

It still boots however, and manages SD video without too much chunky action which is what I use it for mostly, to watch TV shows using headphones in the garden and having a beer.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo on a VIA C3 machine, which would be a fair bit slower than a PIII. It's painful, but doable.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's the oldest computer you've got Gentoo on? Reply with quote

CaptainRabies wrote:
I've been given a computer as part of an estate liquidation. It's a Gateway with a Pentium III, 128M of ram, an ATI Rage 128 GPU, no Ethernet (phoneline only) and a whole bunch of wide ribbon connectors I've only ever heard described on wikipedia before. I think they're PATA cables, but I can't be sure. It was manufactured in '99, and I just turned it on a few minutes ago. It has Windows 98 installed currently, and I'm thinking of turning it Gentoo.
I'm confident somebody out there has installed Gentoo on an abacus, I just want to hear from you guys (mostly to talk myself into the project). So, let's hear it: What's your oldest, currently-running machine?

I'm running it as a firewall/router on a Pentium III and have had as little as 128 MiB in there. You'll do better with more RAM, though, and I don't think I'd try to run an X environment with that little.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo, first on a three year old computer in 2008. Single core, with about 1GB RAM, AMD64 2800+ I wouldn't say I was disappointed with its speed (it was snappier to use than some of the other Linux distros I was using at the time) but I thought "if this is fast, how fast will it be on a quad core?"

So I upgraded to a quad core, 6GB RAM. Yes, it's even snappier. In-case you were wondering.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the oldest, but my AMD Geode LX (@ 500MHz) probably qualifies. It does have 1GB of ram though.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD K6 laptop (300 MHZ). Cut my Gentoo teeth on that.
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old P3 desktop with the same specs, it runs

*Gentoo
*Xorg + Fluxbox
*Wireless card through PCI

Boots in under 10seconds, also has firefox (non binary version)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell Poweredge. 2x1,2Ghz Tualatin, 256 mb ECC ram. 4x15K SCSI disks. Occasionally use it as backup spooler to feed my tape lib. Extremely noisy.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Dell Poweredge. 2x1,2Ghz Tualatin, 256 mb ECC ram. 4x15K SCSI disks. Occasionally use it as backup spooler to feed my tape lib. Extremely noisy.

That's a low-voltate CPU. If you want noisy, try one with a couple of Pentium 4 CPU's in it. Hot and noisy as cats clusterfucking on a tin roof in July.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

That's a low-voltate CPU. If you want noisy, try one with a couple of Pentium 4 CPU's in it. Hot and noisy as cats clusterfucking on a tin roof in July.

well, the 30W and 17W fans cooling the CPU and SCSI disks are not the loudest part. The disks are.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

well, the 30W and 17W fans cooling the CPU and SCSI disks are not the loudest part. The disks are.

:lol:
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

:lol:

oh, and they have to spin up in sequence - or they would blow away the psu. Fucking, fucking loud. But fucking fast too.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning like an Iranian nuclear fuel enrichment plan.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently running? probably my ultra 10.

but when i first installed gentoo it was onto a compaq server with dual pentium pro chips and 48mb of ram. Your p3/128mb is world ahead of what i had. and that machine was retired due to SCSI cost, not performance.

at least you didn't post "I'm thinking of trying gentoo. is a core i7 fast enough?".

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things change, though. It takes more power to run Linux than it did just a few years ago. If you're running it on an old uniprocessor these days it's like you're driving a two-horse wagon with one of the horses unhooked and lying in the wagon, along for the ride as dead weight, and the other one's thrown a shoe, gone blind, and has the shits. If you're running a desktop it's like that nag is not only pulling that dead weight but a dump-truck's load of garbage too.

Where's richk449 to admire my knotty, inurbane analogy.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I agree. it's the idea that "last years model" is too old to run gentoo that gets me.

of course much of the problem is people running kde/gnome with all the bells and whistles instead of what they actually need and use

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
oh, I agree. it's the idea that "last years model" is too old to run gentoo that gets me.

of course much of the problem is people running kde/gnome with all the bells and whistles instead of what they actually need and use

NQS

Yeah. You can generally get another 3-5 years of use out of a Windows machine that's "too slow" by putting a conservative Linux configuration on it, and maybe adding a little ram.
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... think this is slowest so far:

Geode GX1 266MHz, 256MB RAM, 2GB HDD. Using as embedded server/IRC bot, and currently running a "full" Gentoo, as in, yes I run "emerge -u world" on it and it's heavily assisted through distcc (even my AthlonXP 2200+ is much faster than this machine, and I already think the AthlonXP needs an upgrade...).

No X11 though. And there are ports on this that are visible to the world (I can ssh to it on default port) :)

Code:
vendor_id       : CyrixInstead
cpu family      : 5
model           : 9
model name      : Unknown
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 266.671

piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Gentoo for years on a 450 mHz PIII. It had a bit more RAM than yours though. The initial install is the hardest part... once you get to the point of having an x-server, you can just run all those emerges and updates in the background while you do other stuff. I suspect the hardest part will be the RAM, as many compiles these days take more RAM. If you can find a way to increase the RAM, that would be good.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have a "least bogomips" contest. :lol:
woddfellow2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used Gentoo from December 2009 to April 2010, it was on a box with a single-core 1.15 GHz AMD Athlon and 512 MB of RAM.

My current Gentoo box (my other boxes run Arch (Parabola) and Slackware) has a 2.3 GHz single-core AMD Sempron and 3 GB of RAM. Compilation is not too slow there.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it on my Pentium MMX 233 with 8 MB RAM for a firewall. It also had a huge disk - 200 MB. Actually, I think it had 3 of those, one was for logs. I used it as a router.

Sadly that box died in 2007. It had a long life.
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically the 266MHz GX1 isn't *that* old but it's still pitifully slow.

My AthlonXP 2200+ (both after running a few times to make sure it's cached)
Code:
$ time emerge >/dev/null

real 0m1.194s
user 0m1.090s
sys  0m0.080s

The old pitiful GX1-266:
Code:
# time emerge > /dev/null

real    0m35.485s
user    0m33.361s
sys     0m1.257s

Yes, this is just bringing up the usage information for 'emerge'. My Core2duo is less than a half second with all the python cached.
I only use this machine because it's probably my lowest power x86 machine that I don't care about. I think my netbook is close but I'd rather that be a portable.

And if people care, you can say hi to the GX1 on #hp48 on efnet :)
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed on a Pentium 3 box before but used a P4 box with DistCC to assist with some of the heavy lifting. This was back when Gentoo was pretty good, ~2004-2005.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: